Browsers...

Nope, and proud not to :). Worst browser on Mac and windows. BUT, what I like is how clicking on a link puts a fully colored box around it, not just a dotted line like Firefox. Microsoft has also stopped developing IE for Mac, so there probably will be no future versions.

It's good to keep a copy of IE around for testing compatibility issues on webpages. Especially if you create them yourself a lot, you can't just assume that because it works in your browser it will in every other.

Day to day use though I never use it or Firefox. I love Safari too much.

Same here. I use IE mainly for testing purposes. However I like the colored link click thing. Always have. I must be weird. I even like the OS 9 buttons, etc... interface :confused:.

P.S. - If I somehow managed to buy OS 9, could it be installed and booted on my Mac Mini? - Along with OS X?

I'm not sure if the mini will actually boot off OS 9 will it? I thought the only (new)machine that still does is the eMac but maybe I'm wrong.

Nope, the ability to truly "boot" into OS 9 died halfway through the life cycle of the MDD G4 machines. No machines produced after that have the ability to boot into OS 9, although all machines can use OS 9 in the Classic environment.

I do.
Safari crashes every time I try to run a stock streamer with it, Firefox screws up sometime, IE is the only that does the job right (unfortunately).
I'm always amazed at how many things Safari wont do, but amazement can be fun at times.
Sam

Repaired Permissions?
Disabled 3rd party extensions for Safari? (if any)
Unfortunatly (not really) Microsoft has stopped developement on IE for Mac, so expect no future updates. I like how when you click a link it puts a colored ring around it. Since you use IE you probably know what I mean.

And one more thing.... I call it the best browser for the Mac platform. Period:
http://www.caminobrowser.org/

Anyway, back on topic :eek:

I decided to give Safari a try after many years of Netscape because in 10.4 the Apple software is so well integrated. However, I find that i often get messages the actions or servers are forbidden yet I can asily open these sites in Netscape. These aren't exotic site or ones that are blocked in anyway, just commercial servers. What's up with this? Is there anything i can do or is Safari just not quite ready for prime time?

THANKS riccbhard.
I just downloaded Camino. I've only been using it for about 1/2 hour but I,m impressed, it seems to do everything I need and with more snap then anything I've ever used.
bg47-you might want to give it a try.
THANKS AGAIN
Sam

bg47 said:
I decided to give Safari a try after many years of Netscape because in 10.4 the Apple software is so well integrated. However, I find that i often get messages the actions or servers are forbidden yet I can asily open these sites in Netscape. These aren't exotic site or ones that are blocked in anyway, just commercial servers. What's up with this? Is there anything i can do or is Safari just not quite ready for prime time?
Think, for God's sake. The natural state of an incompatible browser is to render the site badly, not to trigger a block. If a site blocks a browser, it is because the site was explicitly coded to do so.

Stellor said:
THANKS riccbhard.
I just downloaded Camino. I've only been using it for about 1/2 hour but I,m impressed, it seems to do everything I need and with more snap then anything I've ever used.
bg47-you might want to give it a try.
THANKS AGAIN
Sam

Your welcome. :)

(Not bragging, but this would be a good example of why I think we should still have the reputation system.)

bg47 said:

It has nothing to do with Safari being ready...it has to do with the "designers" of the site, I use that term 'designers' EXTREMELY loosely, most likely putting some scripting on there to sniff out your browser. Since you're browser isn't returning as IE (or possibly NS also), it's not allowing you to continue.

Sometimes you can fool these sites by using Safari's debug menu and setting the user agent as a different one (MSIE 6 or NS7/NS6).

To activate the debug menu, quit Safari then open the terminal and type/paste:
defaults write com.apple.Safari IncludeDebugMenu 1

To disable the debug menu, quit Safari then open the terminal and type/paste:
defaults write com.apple.Safari IncludeDebugMenu 0

I use only Safari and Firefox for browsing.

For testing, I have W-XP on VPC and the current IE and Firefox on that plateform.

I spoke to soon! I put Camino to work in the real world today and it failed. It didn't handle sites as well as Firefox and crashed twice, but it did it all very fast. I think this will be a very nice browser once they get it passed V. 1.0.0.
I'm not giving up on it but I'm not going to use it for real work.
Sam

Back