Browserwar turnaround?

Straylight23

Registered
I just installed and tested the new version of Netscapes 6.1 browser and it seems to me, that the days of IE on MacOSX are finally doomed... It's fast, it's stable and ... it's pretty!
Look at the tides of war to rise again ;-)

cu:Stray

IMO OmniWeb remains the best browser for OS X (actually the best browser on any platform). I use Mozilla a few times a week to visit sites that are rendered incorrectly by OW. I don't use IE. If Omni manages to include support for everything that isn't supported yet by OW, I'll never have to use IE or NS again.

Q: why don't you use the OS X port of Mozilla instead of Netscape? -- Only difference: Mozilla has less Netscape-advertisement in it, and the most recent Mozilla release is always a (few) steps ahead of the most recent Netscape release.

... looks the greatest, but I hate waiting for those nice smooth textual renders, otherwise yes, it would be the best (apart from it's stupid form fill options!)

I am now flying on Netscape 6.1 and have to conclude that it will be my browser of choice from now on. So far no problems, and it's nearly as fast as Opera, which is by far the fastest out there (but isn't free).

Plus, and a BIG plus, it ain't Microsoft.:p

Originally posted by GrandHighOne
IMO OmniWeb remains the best browser for OS X (actually the best browser on any platform). I use Mozilla a few times a week to visit sites that are rendered incorrectly by OW. I don't use IE. If Omni manages to include support for everything that isn't supported yet by OW, I'll never have to use IE or NS again.

Hi, okay, OmniWeb is a beautiful browser. still, it is slow, very slow. IE isn't better, but has a slightly better Javascript and CSS support. That's why i still used IE.

Q: why don't you use the OS X port of Mozilla instead of Netscape? -- Only difference: Mozilla has less Netscape-advertisement in it, and the most recent Mozilla release is always a (few) steps ahead of the most recent Netscape release.

I don't like the looks of ;-) And even those skins turn me off.
I have never seen a skin like <a href="home.wtal.de/hideout/screen.jpg">this </a> for mozilla. But maybe i'm entirely wrong ;-)

I just installed and tested the new version of Netscapes 6.1 browser

Does this mean you installed the beta version? I was going to, until I read the warning that said something like, "as always, you should back up your system before installing this version..." Has it been stable, both itself, and for your OS X system?

the install notes for anything say that, and if they don't they do say 'we are not responsible for data loss.' 6.1 has been fine for me.

Originally posted by VicF

Has it been stable, both itself, and for your OS X system?

Yes it has been. I had not a single crash of this application up to now. No Probs with my system either (I didn't expect that anyway ;) ).

Just tried Netscape 6.1 on MacOS X and I like it. I've also put it on the Win2K machine at work. It's looking like this will be my browser of choice. We shall see!

OmniWeb is without a doubt the best looking Browser the world has ever seen but it's real slow. Even with a cable modem connection. iCab and Opera just crash too much to be of any use and IE is just as slow as OmniWeb but looks sh*te.

Yesterday I gave Netscape 6.1 and the .92 build of Mozilla for OSX a shot.

Both sucked it hard. To the max.

Mozilla drew a white screen over EVERYTHING and then hung there indefinitely. Netscape just didn't do anything... has anyone had similar problems and if so what are your config/system specs?

I got it straight from Omni that they will be releasing OmniWeb 4.1 in September.

What I really hope is that when OS X 10.1 is released, there will be a preinstalled version of OmniWeb and IE. With this anti-trust thingie, I can't believe that Apple would support them by only preinstalling one browser.

I've used IE, OmniWeb, Netscape, Mozilla, Opera, and iCab for OS X. Mozilla never ran, or if it did, very slowly. Netscape ran slowly, I've heard of a bug that caused it to run slowly on DP machines, as is mine. IE is decent, doesn't often crash. OmniWeb is my main browser, I love all the features it has, but it too is slow. Opera is fast, but doesn't support the mouse wheel (I'm addicted to that wheel) iCab could be great, it's very fast and small, if only it was more stable <sigh> essentially there are no good web browsers, either they are buggy or slow. I hope once 10.1 comes out, I start to see some nice ones.

So the optimal browser would have the features of OmniWeb, but in the compactness of iCab, all run at the speed of Opera?

I think 10.1 will do it for you as far as speed goes, and if you didn't know, there is a feature in both omniweb and ie that lets you remove all of the contols so that you have a very simple window.

I have Netscape 6.1 for Mac OS 9.1 and Mac OS X. The only difference between them is that '6.1 runs a little slower in Mac OS X than Mac OS 9.1 AND that it doesn't handle some web pages with JAVA / JAVA Script very well. For instance, I can go do my online banking in '6.1 for Mac OS 9.1 but not '6.1 for Mac OS X. The application unexpectedly quits leaving the system and other applications unaffected.

I've also noticed that '6.1 has difficulty with email attachments in general. On my system (Mac OS X), it is significantly faster than Omniweb and IE. Webpages load very quickly.

chemistry_geek

Blue & White G3, 400MHz, 640MB RAM, 12.1GB UltraATA66 HD, 18GB UltraSCSI HD, Adaptec 2930 SCSI Card.

Back