brutally disconnected iPod..nothing works anymore!

waltzingmatilda

Registered
in the iddle of a very bad day with my PB (trouble with airport, IM, spyware..all sorts) I brutally took mi iPod off the cable while the big "do not disconnect" sign was flashing. Inmust admit I had done that before once or twice (by mistake!) and nothing had ever happened. today instead I found out that everythin on my iPod had disappeared..individual songs, playlists..everything. as I got back honme I connected the iPod again while iTunes was already running..and it all crashed. well it did not crash,it just stalled. so much so that I had to force quit. I tried connecting the Ipod first and then opening iTunes,,but that did not wok either: I stil had to force quit iTunes..

anyone knows how to make my iPod forgive me and start working again?

If you've got all your music backed up (somewhere other than solely on the iPod), then you might find that restoring the iPod to it's factory settings may help. This will wipe the iPod clean, as if you just picked it up out of the box.

Use the latest-dated "iPod Updater" application in your Utilities folder, under the folder "iPod Software Updater" to do a "Restore" on your iPod, then simply sync with iTunes afterward if all goes well. If you don't have the software, get it here:

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/apple/ipodupdater20060110.html

Just as a sidenote: no spyware currently exists for Mac OS X... what exactly are you referring to when you said, "spyware?"

Also, as I'm sure you know now, disconnecting the iPod when the "Do Not Disconnect" screen is showing can seriously damage your iPod. It should not be suddenly disconnected for any reason when that screen is displayed. I just don't want you to be with a non-working iPod -- and I'm sure properly disconnecting the iPod for peace of mind is worth waiting a few extra moments to dash out the door! ;)

thank you..but I must confess that yesterday afetr posting this I downloaded iPod updater and restored the iPod to factory setting. done that, I started iTunes again and waited..it all seemed fine. but I then got a message saying something like "impossible to read or write iPod disk" or something like that.. it then stalled, I went to exposè to have a look on safari ..and the screen blocked that way. all dead all stalled. after half an hour I had to switch off the PB manually. it then would not even boot anymore and simply displayed a milky light-grey screen. I switched it off, took battery out, let it ..rest(?!). now it boots again, I can log in and access almost anything but it is all soooooo slow. painfully slow. and I don't even dare plugging in the iPod again. at this point I'd better do something, seriously.
thanks again

Hi waltzingmatlida

Did the same and having the exact same problem here.Bummer it looks like a big repair bill if it can be fixed, whatever the problem is. I think its a hardware thing.

eric halfabee

Back