Burn Bootable DVDs?

lombarke

Registered
I have a 15" PowerBook with a Superdrive, and I was wondering how I would go about copying/making/burning bootable DVDs. For instance (ONLY EXAMPLE, I'M NOT GOING TO ACTUALLY DO IT), if I wanted to make a copy of the Tiger DVD (and I only use this as an example because it's the only bootable DVD I know of), how would I go about doing that? Can I do that using Disk Utility? I guess I'd have to make a bootable image of the Tiger DVD to begin with?

Really...I'm just curious, and would have no problem doing a trial-and-error thing, but I don't have many blank DVD's left.

Make an image from the disk, by using disk utility, File > New > image from disk (select your disk)

let it do its thing and then burn it using disk utility. I have tried buring bootable disks from toast before, you can read the disk fine in finder, but it wont boot from it.

HateEternal said:
Make an image from the disk, by using disk utility, File > New > image from disk (select your disk)

let it do its thing and then burn it using disk utility. I have tried buring bootable disks from toast before, you can read the disk fine in finder, but it wont boot from it.

Oh OK...so if you make an image of a bootable DVD, it includes the bootable properties? I really should have assumed this because it's mac...and stuff just works :).

So how about making a bootable DVD of my system (assuming it could all fit on a DVD)? Is that even possible?

lombarke said:
I have a 15" PowerBook with a Superdrive, and I was wondering how I would go about copying/making/burning bootable DVDs. For instance (ONLY EXAMPLE, I'M NOT GOING TO ACTUALLY DO IT), if I wanted to make a copy of the Tiger DVD (and I only use this as an example because it's the only bootable DVD I know of), how would I go about doing that? Can I do that using Disk Utility? I guess I'd have to make a bootable image of the Tiger DVD to begin with?

Since I have iBook with no DVD recorder, I made my copy of Tiger DVD using my old Wintel box using Alcohol 120% software. Everything went flawlesly, and now I have backup copy of Tiger installation media.

BTW, why do you insist that you shouldn't make copies? It should be perfectly legal to make backup copies of software that you purchased? I keep my Tiger DVD @ home and carry around my copy DVD. I don't want original media to be damaged.

Electric said:
Since I have iBook with no DVD recorder, I made my copy of Tiger DVD using my old Wintel box using Alcohol 120% software. Everything went flawlesly, and now I have backup copy of Tiger installation media.

BTW, why do you insist that you shouldn't make copies? It should be perfectly legal to make backup copies of software that you purchased? I keep my Tiger DVD @ home and carry around my copy DVD. I don't want original media to be damaged.

oh i didn't mean to insist that i shouldn't make copies...maybe i should have said distribute. i agree, it's great to have backups! as a matter of fact, i'll probably end up making a copy of my Tiger DVD for that exact reason...when I finally have the time to install it!

But I don't have a Wintel box, so I'm not able to do that...I'll just go with the making a disk image. Wouldn't BootCD only work for CD's? Or does that work with DVDs as well?

lombarke said:
But I don't have a Wintel box, so I'm not able to do that...I'll just go with the making a disk image. Wouldn't BootCD only work for CD's? Or does that work with DVDs as well?

That I wouldn't know, as I don't have DVD burner on my Mac :( but I see no reason why this shouldn't be possible?

Back