Burned Ethernet card?

mikew

Registered
I have been told by SBC that my ethernet card is "burned out". I unplugged the cable from my G4 ethernet connection to the DSL modem while my computer and the modem were on. After reconnecting the cable, the modem would not connect and now have to use Internet Connect and PPPoE to go online.

How can I check if my ethernet card is damaged or if the problem is somewhere else?

If you still have the ethernet cable hooked into your computer and the DSL modem and you are able to go online using Internet Connect and PPPoE, then it's highly unlikely that any hardware damage has been done -- it's likely a misconfiguration somewhere.

Check your settings in the System Preferences under "Network." Make sure the relevant fields are correct under the "PPPoE" tab. Also, there should be an option in Internet Connect to connect automatically, but I can't remember exactly where it is.

Can you explain the problem a bit more? Can you get online at all? Are you using your ethernet port to go online, or something else like dial-up?

I'm able to go online by the ethernet port and a DSL modem. The modem shows activity when I'm transfering data, but the "Internet" light doesn't come on.

I have to "Connect using PPPoE", and manually connect each time I log in. If I switch between users I loose my connection. Before I was online all the time and could continue downloads while switching to other users.

"Connect automatically when needed" (under "PPPoE OPtions") is checked, but it doesn't seem to function.

It doesn't sound like there's anything wrong at all with your ethernet port, as it seems to work just fine getting you online.

The configuration of the modem sounds screwy, though, as it doesn't seem like Internet Connect is allowing the modem to reconnect automatically.

Try this: shut down both your computer and the modem. Then, power on the modem and wait for a few minutes for the modem to initialize and everything... should take a maximum of 3 minutes, although waiting 5 just for good measure wouldn't hurt. Next, power back on your computer and see if that helps. It sounds like the computer and modem may not have been "communicating" correctly, and resetting both in that order may help.

Back