Burning DVD always gives me an error

retrotron

thinking is design
I've tried burning all sorts of things onto a DVD-R (images, data, .VOB files, whatever) and each time it burns for a long while then says

'An error occurred while burning the disc. This disc cannot be used.'

Anybody know what I'm doing wrong?

For burning images, I'm using Disk Utility, but for data, I'm just clicking on the 'burn' icon (the little radioactive thing) and letting it do its thing. I get the same error if I try to burn at 1x or at maximum. The drive is just my powerbook's superdrive. I'm using some really cheap DVD-Rs, perhaps there's a problem there?

It could very well be the brand of DVD media you're using. I would try with a pack of Apple's own DVD-R media (the 4x stuff -- I think it's $10 for a pack of 5) and see if that helps.

Also, are you sure they're DVD-R disks, and not DVD+R disks?

I'm using some really cheap DVD-Rs, perhaps there's a problem there?
As ElDiabloConCaca suggests, there is very definitely a problem there. Cheap media whether CD-R/RW or DVD-R/RW is seldom, if ever, a bargain. With DVD-R/RW media make that never a bargain. Save money, save problems, save aggravation; get good media in the first place.

Okay, good to know. I'll try some better media. The discs are Datawrite Red (v3) general purpose 4x DVD-R. So I guess if something else works, stay away from the Datawrite flavor.

I bought a load of Datawrite Red v3 4x for my Powerbook few months ago. I had same problems as you had with first few I tried using but now they seem to burn fine.

Funnily enough ever since I upgraded to 10.3.6 I've had no problems with these discs!

Weird that it works for you but not for me. Ugh. Anyways, I tried it with an Apple DVD-R (2x) and it worked, so I guess I'm back in business. Thanks for the help all.

Back