Buy.com Music Store (the mighty merging of 3 threads)

I think the PC version is right on schedule, actually. I can't imagine the howl many of the Apple faithful would have made if such a revolutionary move would have gone to PC users at the same time as for the Mac.
Plus, it wouldn't be much incentive to sell Macs to potential switchers, especially when Apple knew the G5 was going to get lots of attention.
Plus, it gave Apple enough time to fix what (other than the first few hours) seems to be a relatively smooth operation.
I'm sure Apple knew these kind of things were going to happen, now it's just a question of if Apple waits for Win/iTunes /iTMS to be a smash and let the others have their fun while it lasts, or if Apple does something aggressive as a response.

Plus, it wouldn't be much incentive to sell Macs to potential switchers, especially when Apple knew the G5 was going to get lots of attention.

Show me one person who switched to a Mac just so he could use the iTunes Music Store 6 months before the PC version debuted...

I don't buy it. iTunes itself has generated some PC envy, and as part of the whole iApp suite probably sold a few Macs to former PC users, but I doubt anybody switched to a Mac just so they could download a few tracks, especially since Apple stated at the launch that the Windows version was coming later in the year.

Show me one person who switched to a Mac just so he could use the iTunes Music Store 6 months before the PC version debuted.
I can't do that, but I can show you three people that I know switched because of the iPod.
Maybe you don't switch because of the Store, but it could factor in one's thinking. Add iLife, iPod, iTunes/iTMS, iChat and G5s (or when the next PB revision comes along) and you have more reasons to switch. And if you don't switch, you still have more incentive to use Apple products as they become available to you.

Originally posted by chemistry_geek
Apple should have waited and released iTunes Music Store for Mac and PC simultaneously. Steve spoke too soon about his intentions. Now Apple will again have to fight for market share with iTunes Music Store for PC, assuming M$ doesn't "break" the software from burning CDs and transferring to iPods. To be Bold and Brazen is one thing, to GIVE AWAY your ideas to your competitors is simply unimaginable and unwise. Has the M$ flogging that Apples receives taught Steve anything? Sometimes I wonder....
How soon you forget. The fact that the initial iTMS was Mac-only was a selling point for the record companies. It gave them the opportunity to see who this system would work in a relative piracy-free environment. Now that the iTMS has succeding beyond all expectations on the Mac, everyone except potential competitors is anxious for the roll-out of the Windows version.

Rolling out a mac or a PC only platform is a small consideration.

When a store goes international then we'll be talking - if Mac go international first (including the Windows platform - if possible) they'll be doing very nicely. But if they sit on their hands and wait for someone else to do it then i'd be more worried.

I found a good source for my iTunes album art.

But the record industry will be headed this way, basically another standards change since the last major jump in the eighties to CD. CDs will likely still be around, but more and more home media players will be the thing and devices like iPods will phase out to more practical multipurpose devices. i say that because why carry that when you could use a cell phone to play your audio on, considering we always have our cell phones on us anyway. it's more practical. I guess ipods type devices will still be around, just not as big, much like a cassette /CD walkman these days. And considering some of these record companies are owned by manufactures of such products, it's basically a hardware standards change, and cell phone companies would love to do it as well to increase their bottom line. Sprint was the first to test this blend some time ago, but technology is better, so it is coming.

It's kinda funny...

People complain about Apple not building a product that's "compatible" with the other 97% of the market....yet this guy produces a product that isn't compatible with over 50% of it (iPod users).

Aint that a b.....

Originally posted by Urbansory
I found a good source for my iTunes album art.

But the record industry will be headed this way, basically another standards change since the last major jump in the eighties to CD. CDs will likely still be around, but more and more home media players will be the thing and devices like iPods will phase out to more practical multipurpose devices. i say that because why carry that when you could use a cell phone to play your audio on, considering we always have our cell phones on us anyway. it's more practical. I guess ipods type devices will still be around, just not as big, much like a cassette /CD walkman these days. And considering some of these record companies are owned by manufactures of such products, it's basically a hardware standards change, and cell phone companies would love to do it as well to increase their bottom line. Sprint was the first to test this blend some time ago, but technology is better, so it is coming.

While in high school many years ago I wanted a CD player very badly and eventually saved enough money to purchase the very first Sony DiscMan. But before this happened I listened to all of my music on cassette tapes on a Panasonic portable stereo (which I still have and works), you know those BIG Boom Boxes from the early 1980s. One night I dreamed that a major breakthrough in audio had been developed that would soon pass CD quality recordings. You could purchase music in a clear liquid, that when exposed to a magnetic field, broke down into smaller molecules. In the process of the liquid breaking down into smaller molecules, the magnetic field was affected by this breakdown which translated into an analog audio signal. All you had to do was place a small dab of the liquid on the cassette player head, close the door, and press the Play button.

Strange, I know, but that's what dreams are meant for, people to explore new creative ideas.

Originally posted by RyanLang
I obviously couldn't watch the windows media 9 ones on the buymusic website

You don't need Windows Media 9 to play the commercials from the website. Windows Media Player for OS X works fine. I couldn't get Safari to find the right plug-in, but Explorer did fine.

Just FYI for all those unfortunate souls who thought they might never get a peek at those 'wonderful' commercials. ;)

Well when these phones come out and have the storage space that matches or surpasses what is out now, I know what will be on my must have list.

Cassette tapes, the plastic hell of the past. I hated FF and RWD, such a pain. I have a 8 track player here, lol, so I keep all my old toys too, they are far better in my opinion, well the receiver in the 8-track player, still makes the apartment shake and have the police knocking on my door.

If Apple made this possible with the iPhone, us Mac users would be grinning for days. What if it had additional built in bluetooth options... remote for anything, garage door opener,.... and other add ons that can be downloaded from the web. The future looks promising of one things, MANY MANY TOYS.

Yeah, that's what I was using it with when I saw that Safari wasn't working...Explorer didn't work for me either ::stumped but I don't really care after seeing them on tv:::

Originally posted by RyanLang
I just saw two of the commercials for the first time (on TV beacause I obviously couldn't watch the windows media 9 ones on the buymusic website) and I am OUTRAGED. The one where the people are holding the music device and singing the songs, the close up of the music device and trying to have the same font and look as apple in a blatant attempt to make fun of the iTunes music store (which is strange since they're copying/making their own) really pissed me off. But that was just the beginning. A little later I saw the Tommy Lee commercial where the SAME guitar that apple is using as the music store's image in promos is innocently sitting unattended ,as if it were sitting on an apple set and Tommy sneeks on and smashes the crap out of the guitar and it says something like buy music on your (and huge letters) PC. So I am stumped now. First of all people hated apple because they were ignorant to apple's innovation and they thought they made crappy products. Now the competition makes fun of apple for making kick ass products and yes, they must be kick ass if you're company blantantly rips the product off. To me this whole thing takes the apple ripping off stuff to a new level...ripping apple off and then insulting them for doing it better than you are now trying to. ARRR, when will the world's morons cease to exist?::evil::

Exactly. How could this be legal?! I've had a tv commercial in my country (Holland) that has people talking about switching from one phone company to another, with a white background, the exact same song, you could see they ripped Apple off. But they can do that here, cause nobody here uses/knows about apple. I hate this.

Ok, that video goes too far. That shows a lack of originality, they are basically hoping people won't be able to differentiate from the Apple ads and go to their crappy site. It did give me a good laugh, not from the bad acting but the line... "music for the rest of us" reminded me so much of the line from Seinfeld... "Festvus, the holiday for the rest of us" or something like that.

Funny, I didn't see anything about licensing on Apple's Store site. Basically, the only restriction they have is that you don't share songs.

And putting unattractive people who can't sing on screen singing not-that-great songs isn't a way to sell a product, even if they are "the rest of us." How many Jewish Orthodox men (or women, even) have you seen walking around with an MP3 player? (I'm not bashing them, I'm just saying it's like the Amish using a TV.)

Also, this caught my attention:
_CDR Software:

Pinnacle InstaCopy
EZ CD Creator 6
Toast Titanium by Roxio
Ahem, I thought Toast was Mac-only. Turns out:
Roxio TOAST 5.0 TITANIUM CD RECORDING SOFTWARE FOR MAC
Features
OS Required - Apple MacOS, Apple MacOS X
Aha! A Windows-only service site promoting a Mac-only product! These people are so stupid.

If Apple made this possible with the iPhone, us Mac users would be grinning for days. What if it had additional built in bluetooth options... remote for anything, garage door opener,.... and other add ons that can be downloaded from the web.
Sadly, in today's society, if you had a phone that loud, some idiot would sue. And there already are phones that have bluetooth, that can be used as a remote (well not the garage due to power restraints, but you can run a TV or stereo from your phone) and there are plenty of apps out there to download and use.
Apple doesn't need to invent a phone, it just needs to make it easier to sync with the ones out on the market already.

how do u figure people will sue, thats like a iPod basically but in a phone enclosure. We carry cell phones anyway, why add other items when we can carry only a phone? The camera is being integrated, not the best at this point, but it is getting better, and audio will be next. Standards change, so do the products we use, they are always evolving. I know of the phones with bluetooth, just showing the potential of a single phone, I wouldn't use it for my TV, i rather have voice operation or a standard TV remote for that.

Back