Buy.com Music Store (the mighty merging of 3 threads)

I said people would sue if a phone came out as loud as your old system that would get people phoning the police. :) And you can play mp3s and video off the SmartPhones, but you're still limited to sound quality from the speaker.

bluetooth head phones :) If you give a reason why it's not possible, I will keep giving reasons why it is... basically i won't shut up about the phone till i have it. *Joking :)

I hope phones don't get that loud, bad enough people are irresponsible with them now, only have audio out to headphones or via a cable hook-up.

My new 3G phone does mp3 (and aac and wma I think) playback although the memory is only 32mb. But there are other things that suck about it nd the network so I think it might be ditched for a new Ericsson 2G phone :)

What phone do you have? I have a Nokia 3650 with 128 mb mc card. That may not sound like much room, but it's plenty. I recently converted a 44 mb video to .3gp using QT Pro and the file that was sent to my phone via bluetooth was about 4 mb.
There's talk that future revisions (and newer phones such as the spiffy 6600 coming at year's end will accept 256 mmc cards, which is like having 80+ gb hard drives. Sure you can fill it up, but it's going to take some effort.
But at least I know I won't buy from bye.com :D

I've got an NEC e606 but the Bluetooth support is unusable and 3 haven't got their internet access up yet. The GUI in the NEC is a bit lame too. All the phone features and video stuff works okay but the bluetooth stuff's a bit annoying, the battery life sucks too. Unfortunately there isn't much choice on 3 at the moment in terms of phones. I might go back to Orange and get a Sony Ericsson T610. The 3650s look quite cool but for some reason they're not available on Orange. What's the weird keypad like? Symbian seems pretty good too.

Have heard that the T610 has the same reception problems as the 68s (which I had at one time).
It takes a little getting used to with the circular keypad when smsing, but it's not bad at all. The Symbian features are great. To be honest, I'll look at the 6600 when it comes out as it looks to be a killer phone and keep the 3650 as a backup or see if my g/f wants it.
It is bigger than many phones, but with a case, it's not bad at all. Syncing with the Mac is effortless via BT (using 10.2.6). In fact, I still use my pda, but not as much. I don't think SmartPhones are ready to do away with PDAs... yet.

Originally posted by Randman
I can see why there's no Mac support, why would there be, but to keep iPods out of the loop is a huge mistake. I don't think they have a clue of how successful the iPod is, even to PC users who, for now, must endure that dreadful musicmatch interface. Interesting to see how Apple responds.

I say ::ha::

Not that I've ever used buy.com (nor know anyone who has), there should still be an Apple users boycott of the entire service.

PS, feel better now, just bought and downloaded the two new exclusive Neil Young tracks and an album from Wynton Marsalis (talk about your brand loyalty). Take that Mr Blum.

boycott??!!?? just hack it.. get it to work with ipods.. that'll screw em up!!

Originally posted by Go3iverson
...and the thing that makes it funnier is, buy.com sells iPods...

You think that's funny? On BuyMusic.com (the actual page for buying music) - they have a link to purchase Toast Titanium by Roxio (under CDR software). Yes, the MAC-ONLY app, and they're advertising it there.

Can they be any more stupid?

I find that funny too, don't worry.

The entire thing is a rip of the iTunes store and I hope it fails.

Apple, we need to include the PC world into our musical paradise!

Ok, so yesterday I was able to use buymusic.com.....now they have a browser check that won't allow Safari and says you MUST use Windows and IE.

What garbage.

I hope they fail miserably.

You wanna say the Apple community is worthless to you? I hope they put you out of business.

Originally posted by Randman
How many days till it goes under?
Not sure...
they have a browser check that won't allow Safari and says you MUST use Windows and IE.
...Now I'm fairly sure they'll be going away within the month. :p

Ok, so yesterday I was able to use buymusic.com.....now they have a browser check that won't allow Safari and says you MUST use Windows and IE.
There is a way around it. Use a slow connection and hit stop around the 90% mark. It loads the page completely and THEN checks.

I agree, these guys are arrogent. Before I wasn't too thrilled about iTunes for windows, but now I can't wait.

I think when companies combine a phone with music, games and video it confuses the customer and degrades the product.

The Gameboy Advance runs circles around cellphone gameplay.
Nokia and other companies don't have easy of use written all over them.
Would you have to program the new iPod too??

It will only work if you have seperate devices and make them better than the competition.
Bluetooth Phone
New iPod
Quicktime Pad

who knows!

back on topic:

i don't think pc users will stop pirating music honestly. My brother is frustrated and wants to leave the country"L"
I guess everyone hates America.
Regular pc users that "buy" software will likely to use buymusic.com

The Toast thing is so stupid, especially if Roxio's sponsoring BuyMusic.com. If they are, they should wake up and realize that none of BM's customers will buy their product because they all have PC's.

Chem: That's why you're the chemistry geek, right? Because you dream about using a chemical to play your music... :) That's a really interesting idea, though. Heaven knows how it would work. And to use this revolutionary liquid in a normal cassette player? ::ha:: That's a really funny dream.

The "music for the rest of us" line is a direct mocking/snotty comment to the Mac's orginal ad campaign in 1984 - the computer for the rest of us. But they have a point!

buymusic.com is saying, "Hey windows users, they left you out of this and since you are 97% of the god d@mn market, here you go." Apple made some strategic errors here and I can only hope they are working day and night to have iTMS out for windows users. If they would have had both out from day one I suppose they would have sold fewer iPods, but is it worth it in the long run? As a Mac user, I guess I can say, screw the PC users and let them wait. As an Apple stock holder I would be pissed that Apple missed a great opportunity and will have to catch up in the PC world when they could have had it all from day one. This is not good business - Apple is already viewed as elitist and as hard as it may be, we don't want to alienate Windows users if we want Apple to succeed.

buymusic.com may be kludgey and hard to use or poorly thought out, but when has that EVER stopped PC users before? :)

So I go and look at their, um, "ads"; if I can call them that. Imitation is the highest form of flattery, yes. These, however, take it a bit too far. I played them with an iTMS ad in the background so I could see the similarity on a large scale. I doubt they can actually last for any long-term period. Sure, Mac users are 5% or less of the market, but as mentioned, iPods sell very well with PC users.

Either way, I don't find their selection too great. Apple has essentially most, if not all, of the music I listen too anyway. No matter how decent BuyMusic does, Apple will likely take over the PC field when the iTunes Music Store for Windows is released (from what I heard during the Q3 Conference Call, should be end of the year or so). I don't see how it wouldn't be better: simple, global licenses, easy-to-use, high-quality previews... you get the point. One problem I might see is it's iPod compatibility. Unless Apple gives 1 or 2 other popular PC devices some support, I don't know how that will go with the mainstream PC crowd.

I used to do a lot of shopping at Buy.com because they have good prices and great support. But lately (the last couple of months) I haven't been able to log into my account using Safari and I've noticed some other problems as well. Then there is this whole thing and their apparent disdain for Mac users (as opposed to the past when they were pretty good about supporting us). Personally I've stopped shopping with them and I'm going to be writing them a letter telling them why. It may not hurt them right now but it will around Yule when I typically drop between $300 and $600 there on gifts.

Now's the time for all of us to write in to Apple and ask for that Windows port, even if we'll never use it.....I just sent them a book myself!

Back