buying an imac: g5 or intel?

Apple are maintaining manifacture of the G5's alongside the Intels, so both are supported. Honestly, go the G5 - or wait a while until there are enough apps written for the intel. Running G based programs on the intel mac compramises performance and has been found to be sslower than the G5 - BUT when intel programs come out they will fly past the G's... Tough Call!

SubaruWRC said:
5) And for ElDiabloConCaca, it is SubaruWRC, not SubaruWRX. WRC as in "World Rally Championship". Rally is the greatest motorsport in the world, one of the oldest motorsports in the world, the most popular live motorsport in the world along with Formula 1 (i.e. 2003 WRC had more live viewers per event than Formula 1), and Rally is catching on very quickly in the US (Canada is already huge into Rally and Mexico already has an official FIA WRC event). The Subaru WRX exists in the US because of Rally, so to pay homage and attention to the WRX's true roots, I specifically chose WRC as part of my handle on this forum.
My apologies. It was simply a typo, as in the United States, the "X" key is directly next to the "C" key on our QWERTY keyboards. I meant to type your handle correctly, but my fingers are not 100% accurate like your insight into the future of computers.

I also know that computers are not cars, but setting up an analogy (even a bad one, like mine) requires that I compare two things that are different. My analogy would have been even worse had I compared computers to computers.

Any developer who codes solely for Macintosh computers with Intel processors (making their software PPC-incompatible) has no business calling themselves a developer. Only a very, very, very small percentage of Macintosh users use Macintosh computers with Intel processors -- developing an application that will run solely on Intel processors and shutting out 99% of Macintosh users would be shooting themselves in the foot.

In the end, I'll stick to my thinking that purchasing a PPC-based Macintosh right now would not be setting yourself up for obsolecense. They will still be very usable 4 years from now.

If you are so broke you cannot afford the $400 difference between the 17" and 20" model, then fix what you have, and wait until you have a job before spending any more money.
If he/she was 12 years old and had no money-management experience, I'd think this comment would be a pretty good one. I highly doubt he/she is 12 years old, though.

SubaruWRC said:
1) Let's look at some prices at www.apple.com as of 01/20/2006:

• Intel 17" iMac: $1299
  • Intel 20" iMac: $1699
  • PPC 17" iMac: $1299
  • PPC 20" iMac: $1699

i already explained which model G5 i was looking at, and why it is cheaper.

SubaruWRC said:
2) If you are so broke you cannot afford the $400 difference between the 17" and 20" model, then fix what you have, and wait until you have a job before spending any more money.

since you didnt bother to ask what was wrong with my powerbook, you have absolutely no reason to think that repair should be an option. so, fyi, the hard drive is failing, the optical drive is broken, and the case is cracked. still think i should repair my 5 year old computer?

as a student and also a member of the workforce, i am being as logical as i can while deciding what to buy. i do a lot of work - for profit as well as school - on my computer, and at this particular, very specific time, i cannot either afford $1700 nor afford to wait until i have more money. it would be nice if you made some tiny bit of effort to be helpful instead of judging someone elses position in life without an iota of information to back it up.

SubaruWRC said:
Look, if you cannot afford the $400 price difference today, there is no indication you will be able to afford the $400 price difference 2-3 years from now either.

again, what the hell are you talking about? you have absolutely no idea who i am, how old i am, or what i do for a living. did it occur to you that maybe i just had a car accident and had to buy a new car? or maybe im extremely ill and have thousands of dollars in medical bills to pay. or maybe both. stop being an arrogant, presumptuous ***.

Hey, don't let this get into an ugly fight, eh... I think the pros and cons about the different iMac models as well as an alternative like an iBook or the Mac mini with a 3rd party display have been laid out well enough by now.

So, unispherephoto: Have you come up with a decision yet? Have you _thought_ about the Mac mini option?

i ordered the 20" g5. i really think itll do everything i want it to, plus more - and ill have no problem sellin it and buying something new when the PPC it not well enough supported. for the time being, im more exited to have such a big screen and a computer thats a bazillion times faster than my current one.

Apple just dropped the price of the G5's iMacs today, at least the 20in model.
Now it's $1499 for the 20in G5.
Do you still go for the Intel? I think so.
G5 or Intel

Back