Bye Bye Toast?

Changing the name does not mean always the software ending.
Chimera became Camino (uglier name).
Hydra became SubEthaEdit (idem).
Firebird became Firefox (idem).
Redhat was reborn as Fedora (idem).
So Toast will be ..

Roxio Toast is competing with all sorts of other, less expensive software. Not the least of which is the fact that it's functions are built into OS X. :) I think Norton Utilities might be a good corollary for this.

But Norton is different because their products have caused no small amount of problems with OS X users. I've never used Toast but I've not heard anyone complain about the quality of the app. Perhaps they'll still stay in business?

Toast has been the de facto standard burning application for Mac OS X much like Nero on the Windows side. It's a _good_ application and Roxio has been treating it well enough. There's not much sense in killing it, since it's basically a money-maker. It doesn't need many new features, just needs updating support for newer drives.

The new owner is very unlikely to kill support for Toast 6 - and will probably release a (slightly) updated version as version 7 sooner or later to keep people happy (and buy upgrades)...

Giaguara said:
Redhat was reborn as Fedora (idem).
Redhat is still Redhat, they're just refocused on solely enterprise Linux. Fedora is more like an offspring than rebirth. It's run by different people, and maintains the tradition of community involvement.

Giaguara said:
So Toast will be ..
Jelly? Butter? Muffin?

hulkaros said:
DragonBurn! DragonBurn! Give it a shot! It is amazing! You can also make it burn at the same time in multiple recorders! I know that it works like a charm in 3 devices at the same time! And it costs almost nothing! Read more here:
http://www.ntius.com/default.asp?p=dragonburn/dburn4_main

Have you gotten it to overburn? AFAIK it is the only Mac app with the capability but the one time I tried it simply crashed repeatedly.

mf

Back