Bye Bye Universal TV on iTunes

Satcomer

In Geostationary Orbit
iTunes Store to stop selling NBC shows in September. Well it looks like since the DRM free spat last month (going to other stores) and now this, it looks like a war to crush Apple is being waged by Universal.

All i know is I an going to vote with my pocketbook. Bye Bye NBC Universal I will never watch, buy your DVDs or talk about any of your shows anymore.

Looks like Apple's iTunes collection is beginning to crumble. I know this will hurt them as a lot of customers will see it as a major disadvantage, but the store is too strong now to lose much momentum. Hopefully in a few months these companies will regret their decisions and come grovelling back at Apple's feet.

Meh, no big deal to me as they were too expensive to begin with and I couldn't even buy them here in Canada if I wanted to. Although it's a stupid decision by NBC and I bet they will regret it and begin selling on iTunes again.

yeah that would be suicidal. as soon as people put 2+2 together and realised that an entire season cost $120, they'd just buy the dvd for half that. which is pretty much what people are doing now anyway

NBC just come out of this looking greedy, power hungry and paranoid in the eyes of the public, and apple just look petulant, plus they've lost 40% of their catalogue.

everyone loses.

Well, my guess is that Apple really is the bully here, though. They're the big boy now, and a little bit of hybris comes with that, it seems. "We don't need you, you need us!" might be what Steve told NBC. However, this can - and maybe will - bite back. Apple's video catalogue wasn't exactly "vast" before NBC's move.

Either way: I think both sides are wrong on this. They should actually release TV series _with_ ads on iTunes for free. I wouldn't mind fast-forwarding through a couple of ads per show. ;) This way, the DVD-boxes would still be "the" thing to get when you're into a series and iTunes would simply be a very convenient alternative to watching/recording a show on TV. Oh and: Content should be 720p. It's still a joke that Apple TV primarily works with HDTVs only but iTunes sells you standard or lower res videos.

Back