Bypassing list/grid function in Dock folders?

Morgan19

Registered
Hey everyone,

I just started working on a new Macbook and this is my first exposure to 10.6.7 (don't laugh ;)). I'm trying to get the folder icons I'm used to having in the Dock, but am running into issues. In 10.4, I'd just drag the folder down to the Dock by the trash, it would stick, and then clicking it would pop open a Finder window already showing the contents of the particular folder.

In 10.6 I can still drag the icon down into the Dock, but clicking just opens the grid/list menu, cmd-clicking bypasses the flyout and goes right into the parentfolder, and it's not until I opt+cmd+click that it finally opens right into the folder I'm trying to get to.

Maybe it's just me, but that seems like an unnecessary complication... Just let me click the folder regularly and have it pop open. No extra keys, no annoying list/grid/fan flying out. Is there any way to adjust the functionality to do that?

Thanks,
m19

The only way that I know is to make an alias of the folder and then drag it to the right side of the dock. Now clicking on the folder will open it.

Dragging any folder to the dock creates an alias, that's how it works.

I'm using 10.6.6 and dragging a folder to the dock works just as you'd expect.
Single click on the folder and it'll open the folder in your choice of list or grid, no extra steps required.
So something is not quite right with your system, you could try repairing permissions and if that does not help maybe consider downloading the 10.6.7 combo updater and reapply to see if it will fix any possible problems.

jbarley, I don't think you are right. Just dragging a folder to the dock creates the fan grid folder. We want to avoid that.

I agree with nealt (not that I need that option from the dock)
Creating an alias for a folder, then dragging that alias to the dock - results in a dock icon for that folder that doesn't have the other features normal for a folder in the dock. Clicking on that icon simply opens that folder. Seems to be what morgan19 was asking about.

This had annoyed me too but I hadn't spent the time to dig it out. The alias addition saved me the time. Thanks./bob

Back