Calibration problems with MBP 13"

melander92

Registered
Hi!

I'm quite new at this site and I've searched among the threads for people with the same problem as I have, but I couldn't find anything.

My problem is that I'm having a hard time calibrating my external monitor, since I don't really know how to do.

I've got a Spyder 4 express as calibrator, a Macbook Pro 13" i7 (early 2011) and my monitor is a Dell U2412M. I've been trying all and all over again calibrating the external monitor, but it seams that the calibrator just sees the main monitor (MBP monitor). This results in wrong colors and a much more yellow tone on my external screen.

Since I'm working with a lot of pictures in Photoshop, I need the right colors.

So if anyone knows how to calibrate the external monitor and make my spyder understand that it shouldn't calibrate the MBP-monitor,
PLEASE help me. And if you don't understand my problem, just ask and I will try to explain some other way.

Best regards

Oskar

Oskar:

I don't know much about that software, so I wouldn't know what to tell you to try and set the monitor in the software -- but there may be something else you can do to calibrate the monitor in the interim.

It seems that the software, maybe, possibly, defaults to calibrating the "main" or "internal" or "system" monitor. You may be able to make the external monitor, temporarily, that "main" monitor, so the software would calibrate it.

Two ways to try:

1) Hook up the external monitor to the computer. Grab a USB keyboard and mouse. Close the laptop (it should sleep). Press a key on the external keyboard to wake it up. The external monitor should now be the "main" monitor, and you can try calibrating in this configuration.

2) I don't have a dual-monitor setup at home to test with, but you may also try opening the "Displays" pane of the System Preferences, and if you see a depiction of your two screens, you can "drag" the menubar from one to the other (at least this is how it worked ages and ages ago). This basically tells OS X that one monitor should have the menubar (and, thusly, be the "main" monitor), and the other, not.

#2 assumes that your monitors are not in "mirrored" mode (both displaying the same thing), and instead in "extended" Desktop mode (can drag things, like windows, between monitors and place them on one or the other).

Hope one of those helps.

Back