Camino 0.7 Released!

Well i'm on Camino till the next release of Safari. They both are great except Camino has tabs and loads pages faster (ok differenlty or something) on my machine at work. Plus i can log into my bank!

Oh wait. No spell Check. Hummmmm now what?

As you don't need a spell checker for banking - I hope - just keep Camino around for banking until Safari supports that site, too. ;)

Giaguara,

Why don't you like .7?

There interface icons are a bit different. Other than that I don't see much else that is a problem. Seems a bit snappier to me.

My reasons are in that link. anyway;

- Homepage hijacked continuously to Camino project site.
- It is painfully slow compared to 0.60.
- Cache does not stay disabled.
- Personalizations don't work. At least these:
user_pref("browser.always_reuse_window", true);
user_pref("browser.cache.disk.enable", false);
user_pref("browser.history_expire_days", 2);
user_pref("browser.startup.homepage", "(my homepage)");
user_pref("browser.download.progressDnldDialog.keepAlive\", false);

It applies different values than the ones I have in ~/Library/Application Support/...... /prefs.js

Well, alot of people like...but alot don't. And some say that the new browser engine will be implimented soon...so, once again, Im just gonna wait until the next version comes out and stick with Safari for now.:p Like they say, If it isn't broken, don't fix it.:D But it does sound like Camino will be a very nice browser (if it already isn't)!

Welll, the Camino nightly builds have (as of 3/8/03) started to incorporate the Mozilla 1.3 Trunk, and as a result, have become unstable. Also, the button widgets have reverted back to the "plain-grey-square" Mozilla default instead of the Aqua style. This will be fixed quickly over the next couple of days, but until then, If you use Camino nighties, I would keep a copy of the 0.7 milestone build on hand just in case....

Hmmm. Reading posts from the Camino mailing list, it appears the return to the standard Mozilla widgets was a conscious one. I've already voiced my opposition to this, and suggest any that liked the Aqua widgets stand up and say so. At the very least, there should be an option to turn them on/off.

chimera-request@mozdev.org

Hmm... afaik Chimera never had _real_ Aqua widgets, only some sort of faked ones (too big). So maybe it was too difficult and 'real' mozilla ones are considered better...

Chimeras widgets have always been Aqua. Yes, they were a bit larger than the other browsers Aqua widgets, but Aqua they were.

It appears that the report that they were remaining with the standard Moz widgets was false. There is now an entry in Camino's dev list that states they are set to return...

...but Safari is getting strong! Too strong for Camino? :D

I don't know for sure because Camino lost some serious development time and Safari is still getting some features that Camino already has...

Safari v64 does the job for me more than enough but then again Camino is almost the same for me. For now "almost" is not enough for Camino to have me but with Safari is a whole different story... :rolleyes:

Let's just simply say that the Internet is an ongoing Safari for me :D

I don't know for sure because Camino lost some serious development time and Safari is still getting some features that Camino already has...

It may look like Camino had some downtime, but in reality, there was lots going on behind the scenes...

The move to the current Mozilla trunk is going to take a couple of weeks before it's stable, but it will be well worth it. The improvements in speed, rendering, etc. will be well worth the wait.

Also, although Safari is progressing quite fast, keep in mind that it's development answers to one man: Steve Jobs. If Steve doesn't like a particular feature - it's "steved" (86'ed).

With Camino, you have a voice (via the camino mailing list), and the developers listen to user input. Heck - if you have any Cocoa programming skills, you can d/l the source code and make your own improvements.

Whoever ends up on top, the bottom line is that OS X users have our own little "browser war" going on here, and it only means better browsers for the platform.

I'd rather use either of these beta browsers than IE for Windows anyday...

Hmm... So far it seems to me that Apple is listening to user input quite well and is indeed making Safari advance quite fast.

But you're right: Mailing lists are a more direct way of voicing feature requests. Even better if there are answers by the developers.

However, Dave Hyatt's weblog has been very informative and you can talk quite directly with him through the page's comment feature.

Hmm... So far it seems to me that Apple is listening to user input quite well and is indeed making Safari advance quite fast.

Safari is advancing quite fast, and will probably beat Camino to a stable, releasable version 1.0. Not really surprising since the Safari team is about 5x the size of the Camino team.

And although David Hyatt does solicit some feedback from his weblog, keep two things in mind: 1 - David works on WebCore, which is the inner rendering engine. While I do believe he had a big hand in the Tab implementation in Safari (his tabs philosophy posted last week is brought to life in v64), I doubt he has reign over the other UI features, and 2-If Steve doesn't like it, it doesn't get added.

As time goes by, the differences in each project (closed source v. open source) will become apparent. Once Safari reaches a plateau of stable, releasable features, and achieves it's market share projections, development and innovation will most likely taper off (just look at IE for Windows as an example). However, if the open source model stays true (and a sufficient number of developers remain involved), Camino will continue to evolve (just like Moz has continued innovating while IE stagnates) and could eventually pass Safari in innovation... It's the old tortoise and the hare scenario, and it seems to have played out in the earlier browser wars (Moz v. IE).

Originally posted by fryke
As you don't need a spell checker for banking - I hope - just keep Camino around for banking until Safari supports that site, too. ;)

Activate the debug menu and try using a different Security Checks and set the browser to identify itself as MSIE6. Works every-time.

It seems that the nightly builds are back on track. Aqua widgets have return (although as of 3/13 they need a little tweaking), and stability seems to be back as well...

Livin' life on the trunk!

There are only two browsers afaik with Aqua widgets that never needed any work: OmniWeb and Safari. The Chimera ones, and now the Camino ones, were always XUL-based as far as I could tell from looking at them.

Back