Camino 0.7 Released!

Very nice. Speedy. I think I'll be stickin' with Safari though.

Man my avatar is slow in Camino.

Wow, you're right about your avatar. But.....Camino ROCKS!!! Safari still has a few things to work on.

I am testing Camino, but I am still leaning towards Safari, because I don't like the way the text looks in Camino. I do like some features of cCamino very much like Tabs groups.

thank god for camino! -- online here since 96 and finally a browser that i really like -- all you safari user: no dissing here but what do you think is so great about it (apart from the fact that it's an Apple product)?

Safari's got great bookmark management. It launches faster. Tabs are coming along well and look and work much better than in Camino. Things like that, I guess.

Nope. However, one important bug is fixed: The app has now the same name as the project, Camino. :)

Originally posted by whitesaint
Safari has tabbed browsing? Can we download it from Apple.com?

not yet ... but its out there, if u know where to look ...

Tabs work "quite" well ... and look the part IMO. ... i am sure they will release a tabular version quite soon ;)

Neyo

ANYONE else still craving for PROPER tabbing in Safari? ... i hate having to scroll down to "Submit" on forums, as opposed to tab and Enter!

Actually, I like that I can use the return key as a return key. Maybe 'enter' could work as submit button.

but doesn't it annoy you, that the TAB key doesn't work, how it does, in every other browser? ... i always look for shortcuts, no using a mouse wherever possible ... and often tab through elements to reach buttons, etc! ...

I actually HATE that behaviour in other browsers and turn it off where possible, as I strictly want to be able to only tab between text entry fields. Nothing worse than having to 'tab' three times only to get from field to field in a form...

I prefer the bookmark ystem of Camino compared to the one in Safari - maybe because my bookmarks seem ... a bit .. extensive. So I have it on side.

What is new in 0.7? Apart from the name being fixed? Do I get it now or after some days ...? :confused:

Camino 0.70 doesn't even have the newer Mozilla trunk merged yet. This will happen with post 0.70 nightly builds in a few days. The reports are that Camino will get about a 10-20% increase in rendering speed when this happens, not to mention a much faster launch time.

Originally posted by fryke
I actually HATE that behaviour in other browsers and turn it off where possible, as I strictly want to be able to only tab between text entry fields. Nothing worse than having to 'tab' three times only to get from field to field in a form...

I don't think any browser really gets it "right". Generally I want to tab between any form element. In this way, I can fill out an entire form without ever having to touch the mouse. I switch from Opera PC, Mozilla/Mac, Mozilla/PC and Safari all the time (as in I use all four every day), and the tabbing drives me nuts. I think it's Safari that doesn't tab to drop down lists, VERY annoying. Part of the problem is that web pages don't specify a tab ordering, so browsers take this very hit or miss best shot at figuring out where to go. Then there is the whole issue of having the tabs take you out of the web page context and into the web browser (like the url entry field).

Related is the issue of tabbing between tabs. Doesn't affect (most) Safari users yet, but it's coming. In the PC world anyway, the "standard" way to navigate between tabs via the keyboard is with <ctrl-tab> (all apps, not just browsers). I like the way Opera does it, it behaves like <alt-tab> to switch between processes in that when you do the keystroke, it takes you to the last thing you were on. Contrast to how Mozilla does it, where they just simply linerarly take you through the tabs. I can see how some people might find the latter behaviour more intuitive, but I find the former most useful.

Originally posted by ~~NeYo~~
ANYONE else still craving for PROPER tabbing in Safari? ... i hate having to scroll down to "Submit" on forums, as opposed to tab and Enter!
I know exactly what you mean. I used to use the tab key for that all the time. I've learned to still use it when dealing with text fields, but I wish it was the other way.

As in Safar you're using Apple-Shift-Arrowkeys it makes sense that they just move to the next right or left tab. Intuitive, I'd call it.

the tabulator issue could easily be solved with a user preference like IE 5 has it. There's two types of users here, and before either has to whine, let's just add a preference, I say...

I do like Camino and Safari. But I do like safari better. I have NEVER used bookmarks before safari. I am sure it was not to hard to do, but when I am browsing the web I just want everything to be real easy and fast.

I love the bookmark system of Safari. I would probably keep using my safari beta even if Apple stop supporting it right now.

That said I am glad I have the newest version of Camino. It runs a very close second, and nothing wrong with having choices.

Matthew

Back