Camino 0.70

Giaguara

Chmod 760
Staff member
Mod
I replaced my Chimera (from february) with yesterdays build of Camino 0.70.

It has wrong behaviour, and started to annoy me, after using it for a lot over half a year (the nightlies). Anyone else seeing these thing? :

- Homepage hijacked continuously to Camino project site. This has not happened once, but every time I launch the application; I have changed it back to my preferred every time, and it never stays.

- It is painfully slow. I don't know if the nrtwork I am now is full of teenagers downloading mp3s or why - but I have the impression it's painfully slow. It takes ages to load some sites - e.g. this

- Personalizations don't work. The changed prefs.js (~/Library/Application Support/Chimera/etc../Resources/prefs.js) does not work as included in it;
All these parts of the prefs.js file don't work as they should:

user_pref("browser.always_reuse_window", true);
user_pref("browser.cache.disk.enable", false);
user_pref("browser.history_expire_days", 2);
user_pref("browser.startup.homepage", "(my homepage)");
user_pref("browser.download.progressDnldDialog.keepAlive\", false);

It applies different values than the above.

- I want the cache disabled, history 2 days, my homepage and not camino project as default, use tabs instead of opening new ones, close download windows etc.

So, .. I'm back to 0.60.

At some point I could not load this forum at all with it.

:eek: :mad:

I guess I must be the only one who finds Camino to be not only faster than 0.6.0 but than Safari also. It's also better than most browsers because it is compatible with most web pages (never found one that didn't work) and it doesn't have a memory leak like Safari does (anyone else notice this?)

Andre

Well, 0.60 is faster than Safari. I want the pipeling, disabled cache etc candies back. And the hompage hijacking really annoys, it makes me not want to close the browser ever. Why do i suddenly loose all the prefernces I had?

I downloaded and installed Camino 7.0 today and I'm finding it faster than Safari and Chimera 6.0. In my case, it is significantly faster.

Hm. Mine seems to leak somewhere.

I change all those changed items after every relaunch but they do not stay. :-/

I have downloaded Camino 0.7 too. I am not particularly enthusiastic about it, as it does not feature anything new apart from a New "Read Me" and a new "Release Notes" where all reference to Chimera have been changed to Camino. Apart from this mundane detail, version 0.7 is a bit faster here. Not much.

It is slower than Safari on operations such as: opening many tabs all at once, magaing bookmarks, startup (although I don't care much about startup time).

Now that Safari has tabgroups, I really don't see any good reason to clutch at Camino. And this new name is so UGLY it's like inciting me to change even more !

I'm still looking for a way to get rid of the Brushed Metal in Safari without using the application called "Safari Aquafier". Last time I used it, Safari just refused to display pages, I had to reinstal it. Does the Unsanity haxie work well ? Is there a way to return to Brushed Metal after having used it ?

Last but not least, excellent Chimera/Safari comparison: Zeldman's Daily Report .

Woltlab boards are still uncompatible with Safari. I can not log in, visualize correctly, and do anything to enter to a password protected page, except using Camino, iCab or Exploiter.

That is a bit painful when I need the admin access to such. Or even a normal user or guest.
So Camino...

:mad:

Originally posted by Giaguara
- Personalizations don't work. The changed prefs.js (~/Library/Application Support/Chimera/etc../Resources/prefs.js) does not work as included in it;
Is it possible that you should instead put the personalizations into ~/Library/Application Support/Camino/etc../Resources/prefs.js ?
Maybe just rename the 'Chimera' folder in the Application Support folder to 'Camino'? Just a guess, I am not at home, so I cannot yet try it.

I found Camino to be terrible. It's slow. I had used Safari for a while since it was released, but was migrating back to Chimera when Camino was released. I tried it expecting it to be an improvement over Chimera, but it's not.

Did I mention that it's slow? I'm happily in Safari v60 again.

Have you tried right clicking on the icon in the dock when it's open. A list of Tool Bar book marks is there. Very cool feature. On my system it appears faster than Safari.

Uh, I am back to Chimera 0.60 - yes, Chimera as it's so deeeply a February build. It's faster and works better for me. I resolved the other problems with it - but even on the clean install I'll stuck on 0.60 so far.

Camino works faster than Saf for me in most situations. Safari isn't handling PHP very well... Macromedia, however, won't let you browse the exchange area without an approved browser, Camino isn't one of them.

Back