Can I connect a MacBook to my TV?

wickerman

Registered
I would like to connect a Mac to my Sony Bravia flat-screen TV. It has a variety of inputs including HDMi. What would be the best way to do this? I figure a MacBook would be one way but I was also wondering whether I could hook up my iMac to it wirelessly using an AirPort Base Station. Is this possible? (TV is in another room to my iMac. Can my wireless keyboard and mouse communicate from this distance?)

Hope someone can answer my questions.

First off, to answer things backward:

No, you cannot hook your iMac to your TV over wireless in the fashion you describe.

Yes, you can connect your MacBook to your TV (but don't expect your TV to operate like a 50" [or whatever size] monitor -- your TV has far less resolution than a real monitor, and therefore, a 50" 1080p flat-panel TV will probably have the resolution of a 22" LCD monitor).

You would need a mini DisplayPort to DVI or mini DisplayPort to HDMI adaptor (depending on how you want to connect it and what your TV supports), easily found with a Google search.

What model MacBook do you have? You either need a Mini DisplayPort or Mini DVI adapter, depending on your MacBook model. Other end should be HDMI. Also model dependent is whether adapter integrates audio or runs it through your audio port.

OK, thanks for the info. I don't yet have a MacBook. Looks like I'll need to buy one plus a Mac Cinema Display screen for what I want to do... Mega money. :(

Back