Can I Get Bootcamp Installed At the MAc Store???

apocalypselat3r

Registered
I am having trouble with bootcamp as you can see on my post (see bootcamp help- it is about 4 posts below this one). I dont think I am going to get an answer that works. Do you think I can go to the genius bar and have them do it for me?

I don't know. I suppose that they may be able to help you out, but they aren't personal software installers, and you only get a 15 minute appointment.

I am having trouble with bootcamp as you can see on my post (see bootcamp help- it is about 4 posts below this one). I dont think I am going to get an answer that works. Do you think I can go to the genius bar and have them do it for me?

The genius might be able to see why you are having problems with the BootCamp partition process, and the error about 'cannot move files' when trying to create the windows install partition.
You haven't provided an answer to the question - "Do you have more than one partition on the hard drive already?" If the answer is yes, then Bootcamp will not be able to partition the drive, and you have to revert back to one partition, which means erasing your hard drive. If the answer is No, then Bootcamp should work.

I thought you were about to give up....

I have the exact same problem you're having. I was unable to figure out too.

My guess is that a service that is currently running exsists in a location on the drive that the Boot Camp partitioner wants to move. (Since the service is running, and probably has a lock on the file, the partitioner can't move it.)

I might try a reinstall of the OS to get the machine back to a factory-install state, and see if that fixes the problem. I don't know when I'll get around to doing though. Maybe you could give it a shot. I also need to make sure that absolutely NOTHING extra is running when the boot camp wizard is run. (Things in the tool bar for example, like MenuMeters, or Gmail Notifier, or Adium, etc...)

Defragmenting the drive will resolve the issue. Other have had this issue and it results from files being located at the end of the main partition. Running applications like iDfrag or Techtool Pro will allow you to use a boot CD to launch their defragment tool and free up the space needed for boot camp to work correctly.

Back