Can I Get El Capitan to run Virtual Background in Zoom?

yomark

Registered
Okay: So I'm running Zoom v5.1.2 on El Capitan (10.11.6), and Zoom says my version can't use the Virtual Background feature in Zoom. Is there any patch, work-around, or some other way of enabling the Virtual background with my software?

Yes. There are minumum hardware requirements for that, mostly the CPU. You need at least a dual-core i5 processor, or higher.
If you want to use the 2009 mini that you have asked about, that has a core 2 duo CPU -- not enough power for virtual background, unfortunately.
more info - https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/360043484511
(even with an i5 dual core i5, you likely need to be running 10.14 or higher)

Yes. There are minumum hardware requirements for that, mostly the CPU. You need at least a dual-core i5 processor, or higher.
If you want to use the 2009 mini that you have asked about, that has a core 2 duo CPU -- not enough power for virtual background, unfortunately.
more info - https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/360043484511
(even with an i5 dual core i5, you likely need to be running 10.14 or higher)
I have the same OS (10.11.6). It previously worked great with the Zoom virtual background. Now, the image shows on me, instead of the green screen. I have 32 GB RAM and 8 cores.

The requirements are mostly for the processor - not amount of RAM.
Which processor do you have?

Also, recent versions of Zoom seem to tighten up on what is acceptable hardware.
Current Zoom version is 5.6.1
Zoom site states that if you don't have a physical green screen, then you will need a minimum of macOS 10.13.

The requirements are mostly for the processor - not amount of RAM.
Which processor do you have?

Also, recent versions of Zoom seem to tighten up on what is acceptable hardware.
Current Zoom version is 5.6.1
Zoom site states that if you don't have a physical green screen, then you will need a minimum of macOS 10.13.
2 x 3 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon is the processor. I also have a physical green screen that worked great previously with this set up, but now the images no longer appear on my green screen.

Back