Can I install 10.3.2 on my G4?

sinner6000

Registered
On my home computer I'm running 10.2.8 on a dual gig g4, but can I install 10.3.2? The reason I ask is because the I have the Software Install discs from my office G5 tower, and the discs say 'Power Mac G5', so I thought I'd better check first-

Thanks!

Hi sinner6000 and welcome to the forum.
If you have a copy of 10.3.2 already installed on your Power Mac G5, than you may not install it on your Dual G4 as well. You have a licence for one computer and not two. If your Power Mac G5 was kinda broken and you wouldn't have panther installed on it, you could use it for your Dual G4, which would work just fine..

Yes, one license, one install. All part of the EULA. Also, many times the install CDs/DVDs that come with a certain Mac model are very specific and will not install properly on a different Mac. Just wait a few more months and you can splurge on a brand spankin' new Tiger! It's GRRRRRR-eat! ;)

You would probably *not* be able to use a G5-specific
installer on your G4. You'd need the "retail" version of
the OS installer to use on (almost) any machine.

I would disagree to that even though I don't really know it for sure. But I don't think there are G5 versions of panther and others that are for G4s or even powerbook panther versions and powermac ones. The only thing that definitely differs are the software packages on the DVD. Some versions have appleworks included, some other graphic converter..

Rumor has it that Apple started shipping machine specific CD/DVD's with newer machines.

Yep -- they've been doing it since System 7, as far as I can remember. You can't take a System 7.5.5 CD that shipped with a 7600 and install it on a 6100, even though both computers support that system.

They were quite heavy-handed about this with the Classic system, and while certain machine-specific CDs would allow you to install on a different model machine, it seems that was the exception, not the rule.

I'm not sure about those G5's CDs or DVDs (rather DVDs, I guess...), but AFAIK, the disks that come with new Macs are _not_ machine specific. The license is, but not the disks.

Back