Can I install a prior version of OS X on my bootcamp partition?

rdbesq

Registered
Due to a problem between Snow Leopard and IMovie 06, I can no longer create photo-based videos (timing issues at playback) since the upgrade. Unfortunately, I had Time Machine/external harddrive problems as well and cannot get back to my pre-Snow Leopard status. I would like to set up a bootcamp partition or bootable USB drive to install OS X 10.5 and IMovie 06 to solely work on my projects. Still like IMovie 06 much better than IMovie 09.

Can this be done? Any ideas?

You don't have to use Boot Camp to create a partition that will be used for OS X.
Use your Disk Utility, click on the hard drive info line, and then click the Partition tab. You can then click the (+) at the bottom of that window, decide how much space you will need. The Disk Utility will default to about half of your hard drive space - splitting the present partition.
Or, a better idea would be to use an external hard drive. You can install your Leopard (OS X 10.5) system on that hard drive, and install your iLife 06 after you boot to that drive.

How difficult is it to install OS X 10.5 to an external drive without adversely effecting what is on the main/internal drive? Then how do I boot to the harddrive? These are probably basic questions. If there is a good site that can walk me through this, please save your typing hands and point me to it.

Thanks for your help! I am somewhat new to Apple and these forums really help.

Easy -
insert your OS X installer DVD, and restart your Mac while holding the letter C.
You will boot to the installer. Begin the install process, and you will get to a screen where you choose the destination volume. Choose your external hard drive, and continue with the install.
This won't affect your main/internal drive in any way.

After the install is completed and is working OK, When booted to OS X, open your System Preferences/Startup Disk, and choose the volume that you wish to boot to, then click the Restart button. Or, you can choose a different startup volume when you restart your Mac by holding the Option key until the screen shows the various boot volumes that the system can see. Choose the one that you want, and n an intel Mac, press return to boot to that drive.

Thanks for taking the time to answer
my question! I used the free Imovie 06 download when it was available with Leopard. Now that it is no longer available, is there a way to copy the one I have to the new install?

Easy! - just copy that installer to a flash drive, or your choice of external storage - and install from there to your other drive.

For iMovie, you'll need the installer. Dragging the installed application won't be enough since there are bits and pieces in system library and in other locations that won't be copied by the simple drag and drop.

Got a link to an actual download - it's about 155 MB download?
Everything that I can find are dead links.
iMovie HD download was pulled when iLife '09 was released.

Just checking that it is the actual iMovie HD app full install, and not one of the updates for iMovie HD. That's why I mentioned the size of the download.

1. Is there anyway to take what is installed on my internal drive from the earlier Apple free download (IMovieHD application and the contents) and make them work on my external? I think I was told earlier that it won't, but someone above said they made the "application" work.

2. Also, I installed OS X 10.5 on an external drive and it worked fine UNTIL I went to software updates and it stalled during installation. Now every time I try to boot to that drive, it stops and tells me I need to restart. (There is also information regarding kernels, modules, etc. on the "You must restart" screen)

Any ideas?

1. Is there anyway to take what is installed on my internal drive from the earlier Apple free download (IMovieHD application and the contents) and make them work on my external? I think I was told earlier that it won't, but someone above said they made the "application" work.
It wasn't a question of “making it work”. I downloaded a .dmg file of IMovieHD and all it contained was the app, not an installer, it runs just fine and I had no previous iMovie installs. I was just curious.

I don't do much with movies so I'm no expert but possibly the user above who said it was an installer was mistaken. Give it a try, it will probably work, if not let me know.

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find a place to download IMovie 06 again for free.

The installer would place the support files, such as iMovie themes, which are installed in the main Library/Applications Support folder. I don't know if there are other support files than those, but would be missing if you simply drop the iMovie HD app into your Applications folder, without the installer.
As far as I can tell, rdbesq would like to find the actual iMovie HD installer, which, apparently, you don't have.
rdbesq - you do still have those support files on your older system, and they could be simply copied from the /Library/Applications Support/iMovie folder, to a similar location on your external drive, along with the iMovie HD app in your Applications folder. That will probably work fine.

The installer would place the support files, such as iMovie themes, which are installed in the main Library/Applications Support folder. I don't know if there are other support files than those, but would be missing if you simply drop the iMovie HD app into your Applications folder, without the installer.
You're right, the themes are absent but that's the only thing I can see wrong.

As far as I can tell, rdbesq would like to find the actual iMovie HD installer, which, apparently, you don't have.
rdbesq - you do still have those support files on your older system, and they could be simply copied from the /Library/Applications Support/iMovie folder, to a similar location on your external drive, along with the iMovie HD app in your Applications folder. That will probably work fine.
If I can get hold of the themes somewhere I can create a download which contains all the pieces (the themes would need to be copied to app support) and make that available.

Thanks to everyone that helped me with this. By dragging the application and supporting files for IMovie 06 from my original machine to similar files in my bootable Leopard drive, IMovie 06 worked fine for me. The only thing missing was the themes within IMovie 06, however, I was able to use the ones in iDVD and it turned out great.

Thanks for all of the help!

Back