Can I install OS X 10.4.4 on my old G4 Mac? [re-introduced]

barhar

Registered
To actually answer the question of 'My friend just got a new G5 that came with OS X 10.4.4. Would I be able to use her software discs and install it on my old G4 dual 500/1G ram?' - no.

Instead of applying a dictatorial administrative action, a clear answer or answers should have been provided.

01. Yes, your proposal of installing a version of MacOS X, you did not purchase, receive as a gift, etc., is not legal.

02. Most likely, the installation disc(s) provided with the G5, is for that model Mac, and will not install on your G4.

03. You do not have to do 'any' firmware updates to install and use MacOS X 10.0.0 through 10.4.5 on a dual 500 MHz G4 PowerMac.

04. Before posting to any assistance web site, it is best to read and comprehend the guidelines and expectations of such web site. However, even doing such, and abiding by such, may not prevent some administrator from over re-acting, etc. This statement is not specific only to your post being 'closed'.

Yes it is, and thank you for the link.

It would have been appropriate, to have been included in the first reply.

Yes, but then the link doesn't provide the educational value of showing the user how to look at the sticky threads in the forum, barhar.

I agree with fryke on this one -- hand-holding is good to an extent, but to have to explain to the majority of new users that reading the rules is not an optional thing to and to do a simple, 20-second search gets old after a while.

A lot of the burden of navigating the forums and being a good forum member lies with the user, not the admins.

Kinda reminds me of when I was a kid, screaming, "Mom! I can't find my [_____]!" to which the reply was, "Have you even looked yet?" You can't just join a forum and post any old thread without knowing what's appropriate and what's not -- the burden of finding out whether a post is appropriate or not lies with the forum user, and rightfully so.

Back