Can I install Tiger on a separate partition?

yanges

MacHead
can i install Tiger on a separate partition on my Cube without problem?

i saw somewhere that you can have separate partitions w/ different OS's to boot from...

i have 5 partitions on my Cube and some are large enough so i thought it would be fun to see how my Cube runs Tiger...

i am going to wait till i get my new Mac sometime soon but wanted to try it out on the Cube too once i have it! :cool:

Yes, you most definitely can.

I currently have a similar setup 10.3.9 on one partition, 10.4 on another, and I boot between the two via the Startup Disk preference pane.

ElDiabloConCaca said:
Yes, you most definitely can.

I currently have a similar setup 10.3.9 on one partition, 10.4 on another, and I boot between the two via the Startup Disk preference pane.

so i could just throw in the Tiger disk and choose a partition to install it on?

Thanks!

ElDiabloConCaca said:

Thanks!

i just plan on fooling with it on my Cube if i do install it at all on it....

i am getting a new G5 soon and it will be my main computer....unless it runs really well on the Cube then i may use it on that whenever i fire it up...

btw, your website looks cool!!

i like the pencil's graphic!! :cool:

Thanks for the compliments on the site!

I think you'll enjoy a dual-boot system. I did this simply because I need my Mac to work 24/7 (school, freelance, work), and so wiping and installing a new OS that may be incompatible with some of my necessary pieces of software wasn't an option... so, the data came off the 60GB and onto a backup, and Tiger went onto the 60GB! Needless to say, everything functions flawlessly. I had to upgrade my Transmit FTP program due to a SFTP incompatibility, but everything else works great!

Oh, one thing I noticed... StuffIt Expander isn't included with the default install of Tiger, and my copy of StuffIt 9 won't launch under Tiger... so for the moment, I'm StuffIt-less and had to boot back to Panther twice just to unstuff something!

kind of unusual for Apple to leave out Stuffit expander?

i thought they always included it in an OS in the utilities?

do you have version 9.0.1? it is the latest listed on versiontracker.com and maybe installing it on your drive that has 10.4 will do it....is shows it works with 10.3 and up but i do not see anything about not working with OSX.4....

Well, it's not detrimental since I can boot back into Panther, and since StuffIt Deluxe installs kernel extensions (which are notoriously system-specific), I'd rather just wait for a definite word on whether it is compatible or not before installing it.

I still find it strange that it wasn't included with my disks. Perhaps a true incompatibility is why...

I'm planning to install Tiger on a second internal hard drive (250GB Maxtor) and keep 10.3.9 on the primary drive, and based on this discussion I don't think I should have a problem. But will I take a performance hit if Tiger is installed on the second drive?

please use MUCH better thread titles in the future. "tiger installation" might seem to you what it's about, but for everyone else, it should be more descriptive. changing it now...

fryke said:
please use MUCH better thread titles in the future. "tiger installation" might seem to you what it's about, but for everyone else, it should be more descriptive. changing it now...

i will try to do better in the future :rolleyes:

ElDiabloConCaca said:
Thanks for the compliments on the site!

I think you'll enjoy a dual-boot system. I did this simply because I need my Mac to work 24/7 (school, freelance, work), and so wiping and installing a new OS that may be incompatible with some of my necessary pieces of software wasn't an option... so, the data came off the 60GB and onto a backup, and Tiger went onto the 60GB! Needless to say, everything functions flawlessly. I had to upgrade my Transmit FTP program due to a SFTP incompatibility, but everything else works great!

Oh, one thing I noticed... StuffIt Expander isn't included with the default install of Tiger, and my copy of StuffIt 9 won't launch under Tiger... so for the moment, I'm StuffIt-less and had to boot back to Panther twice just to unstuff something!

according to Fryke in this thread:

http://www.macosx.com/forums/showthread.php?p=368809#post368809

it should work fine...

Yeah, but mine doesn't -- granted, I did just copy over Expander from Panther without going through the whole installation routine, so that's probably got something to do with it.

I wonder if my Deluxe key will allow me to install the Standard edition (which doesn't install kernel extensions)...

Howdy all. I recently ran into the problem of trying to run a version of Stuffit 9.0 that I had backed up onto an external hard disk. The program does not work in this way, most likely due the kernel extensions that go onto an OS at the time of install. If you want to put stuffit onto another computer w/o going to the website for the download (where if I remember correctly they ask you for info--yuk!) just save the stuffit 9.0 dmg file on your backup drive, onto a cd etc. My particular case involved trying to put stuffit onto another computer that was running the same Panther version number as the one previous. I expect your troubles are solely or at the worst mostly due the installation and not due to incompatability w/ tiger.
cheers
lydell

Back