Can I use a USB broadband Modem with Mac

jobsen_ski

Daily Player
Hiya guys, I have an NTL broadband modem and it can connect to your compuer with either USB or ethernet, currently mine is connected with ethernet but I would rather it was with usb, I didnt think this was possible with mac untill i read simething about it in the new mac os (10.3.6) update on the apple site. Do any of you have a usb modem connected to your mac? how would i go about setting it up? Thanx

Yeah, I'd say stay with ethernet connection. Why do you want to switch to USB anyway? You lose a USB port and your ethernet port goes unused.

For the record, I was under the impression that cable modems' USB connection method did not work with the Mac, so I don't know anything about your actual question.

Some USB modems work with Mac OS X via USB, others don't. Some have drivers that will let you do this, and others have drivers that claim to do this but don't. It's hit-and-miss depending on the modem and the drivers (if available).

I'm with bob and MD here: stick with ethernet, and get yourself a cheap router if necessary.

the modem I got from my cable isp is a motorola that is both usb and ethernet. I have never used the usb on it though as I also think ethernet is much better. my dad has dsl and his isp gave him a usb only modem. its not the best.

Back