Can iDVD be sped up with faster video card?

Freiheit

Registered
I've only recently begun to work with iDVD 4 and it takes ages upon ages to render and burn a disc. My question is, does this speed up any by upgrading the video card? I don't know how much iDVD (or iMovie for that matter) rely on the GPU for processing and encoding video.

Currently I have a dual 1.25GHz G4 (FW800 version) with a Radeon 9200. I'm thinking of getting the Radeon 9800 Pro for G4 systems but wish to know if anyone has done this same (or similar) upgrade and seen any performance improvement in iDVD's rendering and burning process. Thanks!

Don

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that iDVD doesn't use the GPU at all. I think it's all strictly CPU based.

Yep, brianleahy's correct -- a graphics card would only improve the quality of the video displayed on the screen, if any improvement is possible, but that also relies heavily on the processor.

For rendering speed, a faster CPU and more memory would help (the CPU more than the memory).

For burning speed, a faster DVD-R drive would help.

Thanks guys. I knew it was a long shot, but since there's not much upgrade room for CPU speed in the G4 line, I had to ask; and even at its high price, a Radeon 9800 would be a lot cheaper than a minor CPU upgrade (1.25 to 1.4) from Sonnet.

I guess my next task is to learn patience. :)

Back