Can not install OS X 10.4 on this machine message

speedraptor

Registered
Hello all,

I'm trying to re-install the OS (10.4) on an iMac 4. When I try to open the Install Mac OS X and bundled software icon, I get a message saying " Mac OS X 10.4 can not be installed in this machine" . However, that is what's installed now. I'm just trying to do a re-install from the original dvd.

When I boot up and hold down the c key, it just does a regular start up, I don't get the re-install menu. I do see the dvd contents in the window that opens, but from what I've read, this is not what should happen.

Please advise. Thanks.

You have to change the install options to reinstall your OS.
Boot to your installer disk (try holding the Option key down as you restart, then wait for your mouse cursor to change to the normal arrow, then select your installer disk from the icons that will display, and then click the right-facing arrow.) You should then boot to your installer. On the screen where you choose the destination - click the Options button, and choose the Archive & Install, along with saving the user and network settings. You'll see it there. Then continue with your install.
This is all assuming that the disk that you are using is the original disk for THIS Mac. Does it have your Mac model listed on the label of the disk? If not, it can only be used with the Mac model that it came with. No iMac G4 came originally with OS X 10.4

DeltaMac,

Thank you for your response. Sorry for the delayed reply, I've been out of town this last few days and was not able to try this till now. First, my apologies, the machine is an iMac G5 with an Intel 1.83 GHz Core Duo. When I clicked on about this Mac, it said Model Identifier: iMac4,1. Model Name: iMac. The disks I have, say iMac G5 Media Multilingual on the envelope's bar code sticker.

I tried doing what you instructed. When I boot up the machine while holding the Option Key, the only option I get, is to boot from the HD and nothing else, there is only an up pointing arrow. When I click enter, of course, it boots as it normally does.

The reason I'm trying to do a re-install is because this iMac was given to me by the spouse of the previous owner which past away. I can boot to the dock and open Safari and other apps. However, I need to change or delete the original User Name. The reason for this is because I can't install or make any changes without the original user's password it keeps asking for. Therefore, I wanted to wipe out the HD and start fresh. So, could you please advise me on what to do next? What would you do if this was your machine?

Thanks.

Just a thought...I think that the disks I have, may just be for a PowerPC only and what I really need to have, are disks that are for Intel machines. However, these are the only disks that were given to me. If this is the cause of the issue, then how do I go about getting the disks I need?

Thanks.

Yes, you have the wrong disks. Your Mac is not a G5, but is an Intel iMac with an Intel CoreDuo processor. Your Mac will not give you the choice to boot from the PPC install disk, which is what you have now.
Maybe you could ask the spouse of the former owner if there are other disks that were left. Some folks would just throw those out, but maybe you could ask about that.
You could try to get a replacement set from Apple for a nominal fee. Or, the easiest, would be to purchase an OS X 10.5 installer set, and upgrade your Mac along with changing your password.

Back