Can Promise SATA150 TX2plus be made to work properly in a dual G4 1GHz Power Mac?

ken_ww

Registered
I've got the model with mirrored bezels and it runs so-so under 10.3.9, but I needed to add storage capacity and DVD burners for our band's recording studio use, and found that other than one 160GB IDE drive the only drives available on short order here in the 3rd world are SATA units, but this Mac has no SATA support.

I checked into this in phases, and wound up with a number of parts that turned out to be unusable, such as an IDE-to-SATA converter. The only solution available on short order was to buy two PCI USB cards, each with one internal port, and then buy two external USB-to-SATA adapters and install them internally, powered off of the unused disk drive power cables.
This gives me at least the SATA drives up and running, but at a much lower speed than they are capable of.

I naively hooked up the 160GB IDE drive to the ATA-66 slot on the motherboard and it appeared to work fine at first, allowing me to partition and format it in Disk Utility, and then I could start the MacOS X 10.4 installation from DVD. The installation made it all the way to the end before apparently hanging with the spinning beachball cursor. After an hour or more of that, I did a hardware restart and it relaunched the installer DVD, as if it hadn't installed yet. I tried quitting the installer and it hung. I finally restarted again and it again booted from the DVD. I had to shut down and extract the CD at startup time to get out of that cycle. It then booted from the new installation, as if everything was fine, even though I hadn't yet chosen that as the startup drive.
I went to Startup Disk and found that I couldn't see the original 80GB drive any more. I shut it down and disconnected the new drive and it booted from the old drive just fine. Then, I shut down and reinstalled the new drive and restarted and it didn't find the new drive this time. I restarted again and it still didn't appear.

To figure this out, I started studying the various IDE, ATA and SATA specifications and found that there are different types of IDE cables, and that the new drive requires ATA-7 to overcome speed and capacity limitations of earlier versions. This means that the ATA-66 slot can't keep up and there's a good chance of data loss and/or corruption because of capacitive cross-coupling in the 40-conductor cable. Of course, I can change to an 80-conductor cable simply enough, but the speed limitations of ATA-66 are too big a speed hit when doing mixdowns and other intensive processes.

I don't know if I've gronched the new drive, or if changing the cable might make it visible in Disk Utility again, at least to allow repartitioning and reformatting, or if I'll have to do all that after getting a PCI card with the necessary interfaces. I found that the only card available locally is the Promise SATA150 TX2plus, which exactly gives the ports I need for these new drives I bought, but I haven't yet found a driver or firmware for using it with this computer. Does anyone know where I can get firmware and/or drivers for use with MacOS X? I found other PCI SATA cards on the internet, but it typically takes at least a month and US$130 to buy a card that is guaranteed to work with MacOS X. The money's the least of the problems. I don't have a month to wait around for it, so I need to get this card up and running with the drives I bought. Anyone who can help would be truly apeciated.

Rather, you'll want a PCI SATA adapter. Nothing through USB (doesn't make much sense, since it would seriously slow down performance).

Rather, you'll want a PCI SATA adapter. Nothing through USB (doesn't make much sense, since it would seriously slow down performance).
Thanks for the input, but I guess my text didn't clearly explain that a PCI-SATA card is exactly what I want to install. The problem is that the only ones available in this small country are generic cards with Promise SATA150 TX2plus chip. If I have to buy from the USA, we're looking at at least triple the price you'd pay, plus the freight, plus a long wait.

If someone has managed to install one of these and get it working properly in a mirrored bezel dual 1GHz G4, maybe I can bypass the high cost and the wait.

I discovered a hidden unused ATA 80-conductor cable laying folded up under the
forward drive bays and used it instead of the cable I bought and the 160GB IDE drive
is stable now and running Leopard.

That still leaves me with the two PCI-USB-SATA rigs to clean up.
They're pretty noise in the AirPort frequency range, so this is definitely still
not the greatest solution, even if the data transfer speed were not a problem.
(For now the drive is being used for backup, so that doesn't present a major problem.)

The two DVD-RW IDE units I ordered just arrived, so I can swap out the SATA unit and so
remove one of the PCI-USB-SATA rigs, leaving only the 640GB SATA drive running slowly
and the AirPort connection still not fully clean.

Once I get a clean PCI-SATA installation, I can revert to the SATA DVD-RW drive
and get full speed on both it and the 640GB drive, and optimize the WiFi connection.
Then I'll be able to go for full blast TonePort 8UX recording and mixing.

The problem is now that the total cost of obtaining the cheapest PCI-SATA card from
macsales.com is over $200, due to freight, import duties, customs fees, brokerage
commission, VAT and all that. If anyone knows of a driver that'll get the Promise
card up and running stably, it'd take a load off of my wallet and would be greatly
appreciated.

Back