Can someone build XBench on Intel and run it?

jzdziarski

Registered
I would love to see someone grab a copy of XBench and get it built under Intel so we can really compare its performance. Any takers?

What? What kind of idiot releases a piece of freeware these days without releasing the source. Moreover, what kind of benchmarking tool is credible without the source code? Apple users just keep on amazing me.

Whoa, slow down there jzdziarski. Not everything in the world has to be open source. Plus, if someone was able to run it natively on a Mactel, it probably would be illegal for them to say anything about it. All these developers have signed NDA's (or will) and you'd be asking them to break it by doing this. Plus, I doubt P4's would be used by Apple for future products anyways, so it wouldn't really be helpful if you got benchmarks.

jzdziarski said:
What? What kind of idiot releases a piece of freeware these days without releasing the source. Moreover, what kind of benchmarking tool is credible without the source code? Apple users just keep on amazing me.
Read and be wise.

Becnhmarks are a touchy subject -- if the source code was released (regardless of whether the software is free or not), then your baseline comparison just got shot.

Think about it: if you ran XBench on a machine, then modified the source code and ran it again, you could get two different results. What good would a benchmarking program be if you got different results for the same computer? It would no longer be a benchmark!

You need consistent source code across the board for the numbers returned by XBench to mean anything. If the source was available, you would have people modifying the source to produce different results -- then, one person claiming "My computer got an XBench score of XXX" and another claiming the same thing would be completely moot, since the tests were not the same.

I guess the makers of Xbench are interested of having a native version of Xbench on intel Macs, too. By the way, we settled on _not_ using the term "Mactel" in a poll. ;)

Apple has specifically said that they do not want anyone benchmarking these systems.

Besides, these aren't actual Macs. These are PowerMac towers with PC parts in them. Apple hasn't started making Intel based Macs yet. And these systems are going to be collected by Apple after the end of the lease period (most likely to be destroyed).

I would hope that this forum would view posts asking specifically for things that violate an NDA the same way as posts asking for warez and the like.

In other words... the thread should be closed.

Seconded, you've echoed my sentiments precisely, the net is buzzing with leaps and jumps and assumptions on something which isn't even a prototype, it's a dev kit ONLY.

fryke said:
By the way, we settled on _not_ using the term "Mactel" in a poll. ;)

So? People can call it what they want, as it's not even out yet. Same happened for the Xbox 360, people were calling it Xbox 2, Xenon, and so on, it doesn't really matter. Mactel doesn't sound so bad.

Convert said:
So? People can call it what they want, as it's not even out yet. Same happened for the Xbox 360, people were calling it Xbox 2, Xenon, and so on, it doesn't really matter. Mactel doesn't sound so bad.
There is a separate thread about that.

I was just commenting on fryke's post in this thread, notice that? It would be stupid to post my comment in the other thread, still quoting fryke's post from here.

I was only stating there was a separate discussion about it, I meant it in a friendly way ;)

Back