Can the finder dock icon be made to open a different application?

efoivx

Registered
Can the finder dock icon be made to open a different application?
maybe through some plist edit?

cheers

PS no arguments over this please, just a simple yes or no and if yes how to would be great - I'm so tired of arguments over why would you bother, it can't be done because, etc.

What exactly do you mean?
Try to put the whole Applications folder in the right side of the dock! ;)

Originally posted by ksv
What exactly do you mean?
Try to put the whole Applications folder in the right side of the dock! ;)

I think what he meant was that he wants that Finder icon in the Dock to point to another application... so if he clicks on that Finder face icon, another app will open or come forward...

and as for the answer... I have no idea. I ran Snax as Finder replacement sometime ago... and if I remember right, Finder icon was in the dock even when it's not running... I'm not sure if I ever tried to remove it... but considering you can't move it around in the dock... I probably couldn't...

well, that doesn't help at all...

Ye, ah, ok, I guess the only way to do that is to hack the dock in some way, maaybe a .plist file?...

What App would you want that smiley Face to open, not that it could be done, of course. Looks like the finder icon is reserved for the Finder, which is why it's there, strange isn't it?

you can change the background picture for your log-in screen by renaming the desired file to Aqua Blue.jpg in /Library/Desktop Pictures/ so why couldn't you "replace" (rename of course, don't replace your original "finder") but replace the item in your /System/Library/CoreServices/ directory with a new item who's name is "Finder.app" ?

Originally posted by zerologic
you can change the background picture for your log-in screen by renaming the desired file to Aqua Blue.jpg in /Library/Desktop Pictures/ so why couldn't you "replace" (rename of course, don't replace your original "finder") but replace the item in your /System/Library/CoreServices/ directory with a new item who's name is "Finder.app" ?

Yes, that is possible, and it work fine (I've replaced it with the Terminal, hehe ;)) , but the Finder is still there, and it can't be removed... So, here we have to hack the Dock.app, I guess ;)

the first time I read about placing an equivalent for the old Apple menu and HD's in the dock, the guy who wrote the instruction insisted on having the 2 icons (one for apple menu, one for the disks) on the left side of the dock...

I can't recall where the instruction was, but as far as I can recall, he edited the contents of the dock manually, and then locked the file, I think... (or the dock will put them back on the right side or something... forgot...)

I'm not sure if anyone else has read this, but if you can find it, maybe it'll help...

Back