Can we load Windows directly on the IntelMac

"Hopefully since the architecture of the chip is no longer an issue, we'll see a port of WINE or maybe a release of a program from someone else that runs the Windows program under OS X without the need for Windows itself. It wouldn't surprise me if Microsoft made VPC (possibly renamed) into that kind of APP in the future."-mdnky

That would be an interesting idea. If Microsoft offers a way, perhaps one universal version of Office. The possibilities could be wonderful. I would not mind running some windows apps, with out the OS.

mdnky said:
That's a bit misleading since we don't know yet whether they have BIOS support as well, we'll have to wait and see.

Hopefully since the architecture of the chip is no longer an issue, we'll see a port of WINE or maybe a release of a program from someone else that runs the Windows program under OS X without the need for Windows itself. It wouldn't surprise me if Microsoft made VPC (possibly renamed) into that kind of APP in the future.

Yeah, I guess I should have clarified that it may be possible to run Vista since it's expected to support EFI. :p

nixgeek said:
Yeah, I guess I should have clarified that it may be possible to run Vista since it's expected to support EFI. :p

Actually it still may be possible to run XP also. Only time will tell though.

I am a little confused by all of this, why would you want to install Winodws on a mac at all. I know there is the dual boot thing, but that is a real pain as you can only use one OS at a time anyway.

My reason for using a Mac is OSX not the hardware it runs on. In fact the more pertinant question would be can you run OSX on other intel platforms ? I can imagine many people switching to OSX if they could try it on their PCs, but paying nearly £1000 for a system that will probably run Windows as well as a PC costing half that is not going to get many people converted.

Get the OS out there, and then the software support will follow.

I would be interested in running Windows on another partition on my MacBook. Why? There are still many applications that are either only available for windows systems or run a lot better than on macosx. That would make your Mac perfect.

Tommo said:
My reason for using a Mac is OSX not the hardware it runs on. In fact the more pertinant question would be can you run OSX on other intel platforms ? I can imagine many people switching to OSX if they could try it on their PCs, but paying nearly £1000 for a system that will probably run Windows as well as a PC costing half that is not going to get many people converted.

Get the OS out there, and then the software support will follow.

Apple have said this won;'t happen, and that they will restrict use of OS X to Apple hardware. While i have no doubt someone will work around it (as already seen with the beta releases of OS X for intel) but it will be unsupported and against your license agreement.

A little bit off topic:
iEmulator announced a new IntelMac Version that will emulate a full x86 platform for windows. But only BIOS, graphic unit and network interface will be emulated. The cpu commands will be directly handed over to the Intel processor. They are talking about a huge speed bump. Read more HERE or HERE.

Tommo said:
I am a little confused by all of this, why would you want to install Winodws on a mac at all. I know there is the dual boot thing, but that is a real pain as you can only use one OS at a time anyway.
Some people are forced to work in Windows for one task, and OS X for another. Would you rather carry around two notebook computers, or one?

Since the announcement of Intel Macs, I never thought about the possibility of running Windows on a Mac. I guess the reason is I have no need to even consider the idea. As ElDiabloConCaca points out, would be nice for people who need to be able to do it. Be interesting to see what people do with the new Intel Macs.

WHAT A MINUTE!!!
Isn't the whole draw of Apple form AND functionality? OSX is great, no question. But the machines are gorgeous!!! That's half the reason we keep buying these things. Have you seen the crap that PC users have to choose from? They are either ugly black boxes, or inept imitations of Apple's designs - with a scroll wheel and a suite of buttons that no one will ever use. It's ridiculous!
There are thousands (dare I say Millions?) of people that love their Macs at home but have to work on a PC. And there may be that many more that would switch to a prettier machine in a second if they knew that they didn't have to give up their old system. What Apple should be banking on is that their OS is superior and when half-switchers start coming 'round, they will have more develpers pumping out more product and tipping the scales toward the better machine.

I'm I dreaming all of this?

According to some reports, there are already some dead iMacs because of that. People were playing with installing different EFI stuff and now can't get the thing to boot back into Tiger. People are sending their iMacs in for "repair". I'm not sure whether these cases are handled through warranty, though. ;) ... I guess I'll a) have to wait for my first intel Mac to try it and b) have to wait until someone comes up with a way that actually works. ;)

As interesting as it is that Windows may work on a Mac. And I understand the excitement of the challenge, having played with Linux for a few years. As fryke reports, trying to get it to work in consequent to breaking a new machine, I can see the logic in that.

I've read somewhere that someone has found a way to get them back to boot at least form the Tiger DVD included with the intel iMacs, and from there, you can re-install the OS. link: http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2006/1/23/2631 ... Info:

"1. Disconnect the internal hard disk
2. Disconnect the iMac from AC power
3. Plug in AC while holding the power button
4. Power up the iMac and zap NVRAM (cmd-opt-P-R)
The hard disk can be reformatted and the operating system restored."

(Guess the user means PRAM, not NVRAM. NVRAM, at least on PPC Macs, can be deleted from OpenFirmware, PRAM is zapped using the key-combo.)

Back