Cannot add video to iPod

yeonjae

Registered
Hello,

I'm having trouble adding videos to my 30 GB iPod. I've tried adding various videos that I believe to be iPod compatible -- some converted to 320x240 H.264 at 200 kbps/24fps as a .mp4; a few downloaded from sites like Google Video that offer downloads in iPod/PSP format. I always get the error "file.mp4 was not copied to the iPod because it cannot be played on this iPod."

I'm not sure if this might have caused the problem, but I recently changed the computer I am using with the iPod. I used to use a computer with Windows XP, with which I could add both music and videos perfectly. I am now using a Powerbook with Mac OS X. I restored the iPod on the Mac after my first tries to add video on the Mac failed, but I still get the same error. I can add music just fine.

Thanks in advance.

You have to format the iPod for the Mac. Mac OS X can only read NTFS, not write to it (natively).

Windows iPods aren't NTFS-formatted, they're FAT32 formatted. So that quite probably isn't the problem.

I sometimes get the same message for video podcasts that I get directly from iTunes. Says they can't be played on this iPod -- but I have the latest -- 80 gig 5.5 gen. Why?

Another strange thing is that iTunes just ups and deletes some podcasts. They still show up in the list, but have exclamation points and says they can't be found. They are not anywhere to be found, either. Why? How?

iPod always formatted for my MacBook -- bought same day, and only used together.

Thanks for any help!

Back