Cannot Delete Mail Messages

johngaulbert

Registered
Since yesterday (18 Oct 16) I have been unable to delete messages from Mail. The following message pop up window appears each time I attempt to delete a message:

The message (message title) could not be moved to mailbox "Trash - On My Mac"
437257.emix couldn't be copied to "Message" because an item with the same name already exists

Prior to hitting the delete button I empty the Trash. After acknowledging the above message I check the Trash, either On MY Mac of iCLOUD, and see that a message with that name has been created. The message content has nothing to do with the title, though. I suspect I have some sort of Mail virus in the Mail app. I am running my anti-virus scan. Any suggestions about how to fix this Mail problem?

Hmm. Not a virus.

Was there any change after rebuilding the Mailbox? You can do that for every account that you have setup in Mail.
Just click on the account mailbox (in the InBox folder), then click Rebuild under the Mailbox menu. If you have never tried the rebuild, it can take quite a while. You can monitor the progress of that activity under Mail's Window menu, then Activity.

Have you tried restarting your Mac?
What version of OS X do you have installed?

Hmm. Not a virus.

Was there any change after rebuilding the Mailbox? You can do that for every account that you have setup in Mail.
Just click on the account mailbox (in the InBox folder), then click Rebuild under the Mailbox menu. If you have never tried the rebuild, it can take quite a while. You can monitor the progress of that activity under Mail's Window menu, then Activity.

21 Oct 16

Yes, I have restarted the computer several times. I am running 10.11.6.

I will try rebuilding the mailbox now. I have wondered what rebuilding a mailbox was all about. I can delete messages from my Junk mailbox and the other mailboxes I have set up for selected senders and subjects.

Thanks for the suggestion and help.

Hmm. Not a virus.

21 Oct 16

Rebuilding seems to have solved the problem. Thank you very much for your help.

Restart, factory reset are useless, you need to erase these messages from iPhone , Otherwise it will haunt you forever,

Restart, factory reset are useless, you need to erase these messages from iPhone , Otherwise it will haunt you forever,
Well, sure, if you confuse an iPhone with a Mac, that could haunt you :D
OP was not using an iPhone (and this is not an iPhone thread.)
The OP fixed the issue by rebuilding the mailbox database. No "restart, factory reset" was needed.
Please read (and try to understand) the thread before posting random answers.

May be I'm confused, just read a tutorial recently, which about how to recover data on iOS device , and with it help , i have completed recover messages on iPhone ,I just want you to know I excited mood,

Everybody likes to have a good result.
It's good to hear.
But, you also posted to a relatively old thread that is not related to iOS devices, and the OP was trying to remove messages, not recover at all.

You would have a better response if you had created a new thread, rather than choosing one at random.

Anyway, I hope that doesn't bother you, as we try to welcome those who are new to this forum.

Since yesterday (18 Oct 16) I have been unable to delete messages from Mail. The following message pop up window appears each time I attempt to delete a message:

The message (message title) could not be moved to mailbox "Trash - On My Mac"
437257.emix couldn't be copied to "Message" because an item with the same name already exists

Prior to hitting the delete button I empty the Trash. After acknowledging the above message I check the Trash, either On MY Mac of iCLOUD, and see that a message with that name has been created. The message content has nothing to do with the title, though. I suspect I have some sort of Mail virus in the Mail app. I am running my anti-virus scan. Any suggestions about how to fix this Mail problem?
Can not delete messages from your iPhone ? If is like this, you can try the data clean tool , at least,which can permanently delete messages on iPhone

Last edited:
Can not delete messages from your iPhone ? If is like this, you can try the data clean tool , at least,which can permanently delete messages on iPhone

When the poster says “could not be moved to mailbox "Trash - On My Mac”” That means on his computer using Mail.

Back