Cannot install 10.2 getting this on running installation

eric halfabee

You talking to me!
Hi

Im having a wee bit of a problem installing or trying to install OS X on a G4 AGP machine. I manged to get 10.0.3 from a CD installed but when I have tried other CDs (10.2 and 10.3) I keep getting this when the Mac reboots and tries and loads the installer.

Any suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

eric

Attachments

• No-entry-sign.gif
    No-entry-sign.gif
    2.5 KB · Views: 2
I'm wondering if yiou might need to upgrade the firmware on that Mac before installing OS X. Be aware that the firmware requires OS 9 to be installed on that machine before OS X is installed.

Also, check Apple's site for information regarding firmware upgrades for your G4 Mac.

By 'I managed to get 10.0.3, from a CD, installed', it would appear you had some difficulty with the installation process; but, still succeeded. If that is what happened - please tell us what difficulties you experienced in the MacOS X 10.0.3 installation process.
For reference, what I am saying is - you should have been able to boot from the installation CD, choose some 'Options...', choose some 'Customizations...', and then installed the MacOS. If that is in fact what you did - please state such.

As to installing MacOS X 10.2 or 10.3, are you using CD's supplied with someone else'es Mac (iBook, PowerBook, eMac, iMac, PowerMac, etc.)?; or, are you attempting to install MacOS X 10.2 or 10.3 from retail CD's?

this is a G4 AGP box (768mb of Ram) and I have a clean copy of Panther with the same results...I boot to cd and the system freezes before I can even get to the installer menu....I pulled ram out of the machine, changed drives and still have the same results

Yes I'll try and be bit more specific. I am trying to swap over a colleague from an old G3 iMac to a slightly more powerful G4 AGP Powermac. The G4 had 9.2.2 on it and normally installing OSX from retail CDs (I believe) should be straightforward as it has been in the past. I went straight to 10.3 as that is what everyone else in the studio is using, but I got that 'no entry' sign. So I tried an older OS version and the same thing happened. I even tried booting from the installation CD with no luck, I went all the way back to 10.0.3 and it installed OK. I haven't been able to get any further. Firmware was up-to-date so no probs there, disk utility returned no problems. It could be that the 10.3 CD maybe a upgrade CD but I cannot tell as the CD label has been abused.

eric

What basic color is the CD label? If it's gray-colored, those CDs are probably machine-specific CDs that ship with the computers they're intended for. In the past, they mostly would boot any machine, but now, not so much.

eric halfabee said:
Hi

Im having a wee bit of a problem installing or trying to install OS X on a G4 AGP machine. I manged to get 10.0.3 from a CD installed but when I have tried other CDs (10.2 and 10.3) I keep getting this when the Mac reboots and tries and loads the installer.

Hi Eric,
I've had the exact same problem and have spent over a week trying to resolve it. My OS Tiger was purchased from an authorized Apple reseller and it was sold in a retail box. I'm also currently running 9.2.2 with no problems. I've installed and reformatted and re-installed several times. No luck. I've zapped pram and nvram.... to make it short, I've done it all. I've done everything recommend and suggested by both Apple and the many helpful mac users on forums such as these. Yours is the first active one I've come across that seems to match the parameters I'm dealing with. The only other on I've come across yielded frightening results so we won't go there for the time being.

Like you, I'm sure you've been doing searches for this specific problem and maybe, you've also discover that this problem only seems to exist in the AGP G4, even though there seems to be no outright answer as to what the problem is and how to fix it. Since I seem to be a little ahead of you with throwing fixes at it, lets see if we can't work in tandem to figure this out.

If you could try and see if your system will start up in Single User mode, this will help give another clue to what might be happening. Do this:

Restart the system and hold down the Command (Apple) key and 'S' or 'V' key. Let me know if you can enter the Single User mode or if you get something else happening. If it 'loops', please report the last string, basically, the last paragraph of the load.

Also, can you verify that the OSX version is an OEM, non-ripped version, although I'm not convinced it matters? Thanks.

I'll check back soon.

P.S. If you feel more comfortable you can reach me directly at jneedee@yahoo.ca

Back