Cannot install 10.3 with a G3

Aius

Registered
Hey all, im very new to this mac world. Pretty good with the Windows world but.. hey, ive been recently drawn into macs. Anyhow, my dad gave me a iBook G3 500 mhz 192mb of ram and im attempting to upgrade it to 10.3 from 10.2 When i boot into 10.2 and insert the 10.3 disk it finds the disk and everything is fine but when i try to boot using the disk, it just gets stuck at the gray screen with the rotating circle and it will not go past that. Does anyone have any ideas as to whats going on!??
Thanks a lot for helping out a noob
Aius

Also, what is "stuck?" How long does it get stuck at the grey screen when trying to boot 10.3? Sometimes that step in the process takes a few minutes -- have you tried letting it sit there for a while and see if it makes it past that?

Along with the other thoughts, if you can make it a go and install, I would strongly recommend more RAM. 192 MB is not even bare minimum.

I bought the disk online.

"Also, what is "stuck?" How long does it get stuck at the grey screen when trying to boot 10.3? Sometimes that step in the process takes a few minutes -- have you tried letting it sit there for a while and see if it makes it past that?"

it gets stuck right at the first screen with the darker grey apple and the spinning circle - and i left it overnight and it didnt do anything =(

How can i figure out what type of ram i can buy? is there a maximum to the expandible ram allowed on the system? I have the dual usb iBook g3 500 mhz as you know...

One other question - where and how can i get a wireless card so i can fully utilize this computer - thanks a lot.
If anyone has any other ideas as to the disc it would be greatly appreciated - Im assuming the disks are just scratched to much or something close to it

SuperTyphoon said:
Running 10.3 on a G3 in the first place is tedious. I don't even suggest you try it... At least get more ram. 192 mb isn't going to cut it.

Actually it's not bad at all, but more RAM is definitely needed to make things nicer. 512MB should be the minimum (in my opinion) for 10.3 and above. Apple says 256MB.

I bought the disk online.
What does it say on the face of the disk?

Is it an Upgrade disc, is it marked with a Mac model?

Is it a black disc with the big silver X on it. Panther came in a 3 disc set.

Aius said:
How can i figure out what type of ram i can buy? is there a maximum to the expandible ram allowed on the system? I have the dual usb iBook g3 500 mhz as you know...

One other question - where and how can i get a wireless card so i can fully utilize this computer - thanks a lot.

You need a PC-100 so-dimm for RAM (one open slot in addition to the 64MB built-in) and an Airport card for the wireless networking. I do have an Airport card that I'm pulling from my iBook that I can sell you, e-mail me if you're interested.

It has a big Silver X on it - there are three of them..
if the disk is kaput - where can i get another one cheaper? does anyone know an easy way to do that??

Sorry didnt realize you had already answered my question about ram i have one more, does using mac proprietary ram actually matter? or can i use just normal pc-100 ram?
ill try to send the disks back and retry it im assuming its just bad disks.

Thanks for all those who answered and helped! =)
Grant

There is no "Mac-proprietary" RAM. RAM is RAM, just like hard drives are hard drives. "Normal" PC-100 RAM is the same whether you use it in a Macintosh or a Windows computer.

I would suggest using high-quality RAM, like that from www.crucial.com

Back