Cannot install Boot Camp 3.1.3 on Windows 7

PhoenixRising18

Registered
I have a new MacBook Pro 13-inch mid-2010 model, and I noticed that when I am in Windows 7 and try to use my headphones through the audio jack, I get no sound. I looked on Apple's website, found the 3.1.3 patch which claims will fix headphone sound, downloaded it, but when I went to install it, I got this error:

"The upgrade patch cannot be installed by the Windows Installer service because the program to be upgraded may be missing, or the upgrade patch may update a different version of the program. Verify that the program to be upgraded exists on your computer and that you have the correct upgrade patch."

This is frustrating because I DO have Boot Camp 3.1.0 installed, which I assume is the version needed to upgrade, and Boot Camp IS installed. I also downloaded the 32-bit version as that is the version of Windows 7 I have, and just for jollies I tried the 64-bit version but that yielded the same error.

What am I doing wrong here? How can I install this patch? I would very much like to be able to have functional headphones. Thanks in advance.

Well I don't really understand how that thread will help me, could you explain a bit more? I read through what it says but when I go to my device manager and look around, nothing seems wrong to me. I only have one display adapter driver installed.

I really can't figure this out so any help is greatly appreciated!

Ok, so I installed drivers from the system restore disks that came with my laptop, and the error message changed, still doesn't work, but progress is good, right?

Now it says:

"The installed product does not match the installation source(s). Until a matching source is provided or the installed product and source are synchronized, this action can not be performed.

Contact your administrator or product vendor for assistance. If there is a matching installation source, type it below or click Browse to locate it"

Now, what on earth does that mean? In the test box, the default path is "C:\ProgramData\Apple\Installer Cache\Boot Camp 3.0.0\", which doesn't exist on my computer. When I click "browse" it lets me look for a .msi file, which I cannot find and do not know where to look for.

If I click OK, another error pops up saying:

"The file 'D:\Boot Camp\Drivers\Apple\BootCamp.msi' is not a valid installtion package for the product Boot Camp Services. Try to find the installtion package 'BootCamp.msi' in a folder from which you can install Boot Camp Services"

Please, please, please, if anyone has any suggestions on how to fix this, Iwould be very obliged. Thanks again in advance!

Here's another related thread - http://labnol.blogspot.com/2007/06/windows-installer-issue-when-programs.html

As I googled around for this issue, which seems to be a common Windows installer problem, and not specific for Boot Camp - most were fixed by doing a manual install of some kind. That's what is meant by finding the path to the .msi file, which is the main setup file for most Windows installers.
This shouldn't be too much of a challenge for someone who knows more about Windows than I do. I am very much a beginner with troubleshooting Windows issues, so I search around, and find the most likely fix. Then I get with one of my friends, who is a Windows power user (I am not), who quickly sorts out what I need to do.

All that being said - here's what I would do - guessing that some part of Windows needs to be reinstalled... Boot to your Win 7 installer, and perform a repair install of Windows - or (even better to start fresh)
Run Boot Camp from OS X. Remove the Windows partition. Create a new Windows partition, and let your Win7 install put a nice new Windows install in place. Install your Boot Camp drivers from your Mac's restore DVD. Update Boot Camp to the current version
Should work then.

Thanks for the replies DeltaMac! I have already tried reinstalling Windows 7 from scratch and using the restore disks to reinstall Boot Camp, but 3.1.3 still will not install. As I mentioned above I get that new error that asks to find the .msi file. I have a ticket with Apple to discuss this with their tech support tomorrow, hopefully they will know how to fix this.

Thanks again for the help.

Maybe you will be lucky, and talk with someone at Apple with some Windows background...
You can google for this type of problem, and there's a lot of reports about a variety of different windows apps, so yours is pretty typical. It's not really an Apple issue, but is a windows problem.
Maybe these short steps will help you, which is simply copying the .msi to your hard drive, where it can be easily located. - http://www.ehow.com/how_5212463_install-msi-files.html

Back