Cannot print Word documents

monibu8

Registered
I have a Mac PowerPC G5 running on OSX 10.3.9. When I try to print a simple ordinary Word text document (Microsoft Word X for Mac), a print window pops up showing all the pages zipping to the printer (which is a Xante Accel-A-Writer 8200), and then the printer's dialog box shows up in the dock. It announces that the job is processing, and then is printing. The little screen and indicator lights on the printer go from "Ready/Idle" to "Processing," and then back to "Ready/Idle," but nothing prints. No printing occurs if the original is Word, Excel or Safari. When I create text in Word, I usually transfer the info to InDesign and print from there without problem (although some formatting is often lost, like paragraph indents, which makes it an unattractive option on lengthy documents). Quark also prints without problem. The Xante printer drivers are the latest updates. Any ideas how I can fix this would be welcomed.

I have a Mac PowerPC G5 running on OSX 10.3.9. When I try to print a simple ordinary Word text document (Microsoft Word X for Mac), a print window pops up showing all the pages zipping to the printer (which is a Xante Accel-A-Writer 8200), and then the printer's dialog box shows up in the dock. ...
OK. This is most unusual. Can you print from applications other than DTP apps and Word. For example, can you print from Preview or Text Edit?

Last edited:
I just tried Preview and TextEdit with the same results: nada.
This indicates that you have not properly setup your printer. You must the Print Center to setup your printer. Your DTP apps handle printers independently of the OS. However, Word, Preview, Text Edit, and others require the Print Center [under MacOS X 10.3]. With MacOS X 10.4, the Print Center became the Printer Setup Utility.

Call me an idiot, MisterMe, but where and what is the Print Center? At various times I think I've opened and tried and/or changed every possible print option in every print dialog box or window I can think of. Can you be more specific?

hey

print center can be found in /Applications/Utiliities also go to system prefs and look for hardware and print and fax make sure that the printer is the main or default printer.

I double-checked all that again. The printer that won't print is the default printer and everything else at the print center checks out. It's all as it should be, yet I still can't print Word documents.

Dumb as this sounds, removing and reinstalling the printer in Print Center would be the next thing to try.

back up all your important stuff and reinstall from scratch and see if that fixes the problem:) let me know what happens

Back