Cannot start up iBook

jaimin2006

Registered
iBook (M6411) shows a folder with a question mark on start up.
Turning on the laptop with the option key held down (for start up manager) shows the osX HD but cannot start up from it. If I try start up from a CD it works fine but disk aid does not show the osX HD.

Has the HD failed? And if so, can I fix it or replace it?

Did this happen after running Software Update?

Because, I just ran software update this morning on my iBook G4, and am having a similar problem.

After running Software Update, the iBook started to reboot (after a successful "update mode") then...

I got the folder with flashing question mark as well (what I recognize as the system unable to find a boot volume)

Pressing ctrl+cmnd+PWR was successful, and the machine properly and fully restarted.

A second full restart attempt resulted in a flashing question mark again.

Again, ctrl+cmnd+PWR, and fine.

Running 10.5.5 on an iBook G4 1.07 GHz

Updated: Safari, iTunes, and (I believe) Quicktime (I'm not sure how to retrieve info on what exact updates were run after the fact...)

-- DaveO

Make sure that your hard drive is selected in the "Startup Disk" pane of the System Preferences.

Took your advice, then restarted...

... flashing question mark.

cntrl+cmnd+PWR ... flashing question mark, again.

finally PWR button to off, pressed to restart, and success.

(note sure whether to make new thread for this, or whether the Original Poster has the same problem...)

- DaveO

A flashing Q mark at startup generally means the HD has packed in. If you have the possiblilty of linking the iBook to another Mac.. get a Firewire cable.. link the two macs together..start YOUR ibook holding down the "T" key and wait for the Firewire Symbol to appear. Start up the other Mac and if yuor HD appears on the desktop the HD is ok.. (you can get your files off here).. if it doesn't appear it is possibly dead. Yes you can add another HD.. difficult for a novice and Apple will charge a lot. I have self taught myself over the years to fix iBooks. Check out www.ifixit.com

Back