Cannot switch hard drives

mgardener

Registered
I have 2 hard drives. Both show up on the Desk top. If I go to System Preferences - and choose 'Startup Disk', only the hard drive that I am currently logged on to shows up.

I also tried holding down the Option Key during startup, but it does not stop. It just does a normal startup to the main hard drive.

Any thoughts?

466 MHz - G4, 10.3.9

Thank you, Mike

Both are internal hard drives and both are running 10.3.9.

This is a fairly new problem. All possible choices use to show up.

It might be an issue with not having the OS on the master drive - for windows this is a problem, but I didn't think that it was one with mac. Has this setup ever worked?

Well it seems the ones that don't show up were not "blessed'. How did you get OS X onto those drives?

Not Blessed? What does that mean.

I was using the second hard drive as a BackUp, but not any more. I'm fairly certain it use to show up when I wanted to switch disks.

I have an external hard drive now that I us for Backing up my hard drive. I may just try to do a clean install of a new system on the internal hard drive.

"Blessed" is a term in BSD (Mac OS X core) of saying the drive will be able to be booted from. Certain Backup programs only archive in their own special backup file. If you want to boot from those drives (must be internal or firewire) you need to have a backup program that will "bless" the drive after backup up. There are two programs IMHO that make the grade to making backups, Carbon Copy Cloner and/or SuperDuper.

Back