Canon IP4200 -- Can't print over IP

MidnightJava

Registered
I'm trying to print to a Canon IP4200 via IPP. I'm sure I have the correct IP address, because I can print to the same printer over the LAN from a PC. But there seems to be no way to get it to work from the Mac. After printing, the print queue status indicates the document printed, but nothing happens on the printer.

The printer works fine with the Mac via the USB port. But when configuring it for IP printing, the model IP4200 doesn't show up in the list. I selected IP4300, and also tried the generic Postscript printer option, to no avail.

I went to the Canon web site, to the drivers page. They don't list a driver for Mac, just a setup program. Downloaded that, and when I run it, it says that it can't find a supported printer and exits. It works if the printer is on the USB port, but not on the LAN.

So it seems that Canon does not support IPP printing for this printer from a Mac. OK, so I have CUPS on the Mac. But when I go to the CUPS configuration page at http://127.0.0.1:631, when I try to do anything it prompts me for username and password. Entering the credentials for an admin account on the Mac doesn't help, so I'm at a loss how to proceed.

I think CUPS is the answer, but I don't know how to get past the authentication prompt. If anyone has another approach to recommend, or can give some help on making it work with CUPS, it would be much appreciated.

Update: I'm working on this problem for a friend. He just told me that he was able to authenticate to the CUPS page using the short form of his user name. Unfortunately that doesn't work for me. I'm entering the user name and password for an admin account, the one I've used to install software many many times, and CUPS doesn't accept it. So apparenty the authentication issue is resolved for the system that matters, but I still have a need for some hints about how to proceed with CUPS from there. I've got a feeling that the configuration I'll be able to do through the CUPS web page will be the same things I configure through Printer Setup Utility; so I'm wondering if there's something else I need to do to make the printer work with the CUPS driver.

No Canon drivers? Are you sure? Here is even all the manuals. For network printing you should have a print server, then use the GiMP Print drivers.

I have the the IP5200R, which is wireless (it has a wireless card in it). For wireless you should have gotten the model with the R at the end.

No Canon drivers? Are you sure?
Yes indeed. Canon has drivers allright, but they only work for USB connection. When we connect the printer on USB the computer finds it and everything works fine. When we connect it to a print server on the LAN, and try to use the built-in GIMP drivers, we get nothing.

A PC on the LAN can print to the printer via IPP, but not the Mac. And when I went to Canon's web site, they had no drivers for Mac, only Windows. What they did have for Mac was setup software. We downloaded that and ran it, and all it did was say that it couldn't find the printer so it had to exit. Apparently it was looking on the USB port, and not the LAN.

Here's a post that validates what I found and recommends a third party driver that apparently works for the IP4200. I've let my friend know, and we'll see if he wants to give it a try.

I have the the IP5200R, which is wireless (it has a wireless card in it). For wireless you should have gotten the model with the R at the end.
My friend assumed he could make the printer work off the LAN, so he didn't buy the wireless version. Hopefully the third-party driver will do the trick.

Thanks for the ideas.

It is well-known that USB drivers cannot be used to communicate over the network. The Canon PIXMA iP4200 photo printer requires CUPS to communicate via IP. CUPS requires a CUPS driver. The CUPS driver for the Canon PIXMA iP4200 may be downloaded here.

Back