Canon Printer Not Printing

Big Rick

Registered
Hope I'm in the right place. I have an older Mac(2009). I have done all the updates.

Up until recently my canon ip6700d has been working great. I started putting in after market ink and for a while the print was coming out faint with no black. I then replaced the black with an after market cart and now I get no print at all. The Mac says "printing" the printer says "printing from computer" but the paper just runs through with no printing at all. The print head doesn't even respond like it's printing, the paper just runs through.

I have removed all carts, unplugged printer and replaced carts, performed all cleaning steps and even replaced the printer head......nothing. Are the computer and printer just not playing well together?

Is it possible that the Mac is just too old to keep the printer software updated?

If the paper feeds through as a result of sending a print command, then the printing process is successful. That does not mean that the print quality is good, only that the printing completed.
If the paper remains blank, or there are smears, streaks, blotches, lines, etc, then those are different issues.
If the Mac does not report any printing errors when you try to print, and the printer just runs a sheet of paper through, then as far as your Mac is concerned, the printing is complete, and good.
Blank for you simply means that ink is not feeding to the cartridge. Poor printing quality with third-party ink, or third-party cartridges can simply mean that your printer is not liking the cheap stuff. :D

I think you have tried most everything that you can.
If the printer won't even print a test page properly, and you have done everything else - well, it's an old printer (first sold new more than 10 years ago.)
There are no longer software drivers compatible with new OS X versions for your printer.

Time to retire your old printer. It has served you well up to this point.

To answer your question more directly - I think the Mac is OK, but Canon has stopped supporting the printer with software updates for any OS X version past OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion)

If the paper feeds through as a result of sending a print command, then the printing process is successful. That does not mean that the print quality is good, only that the printing completed.
If the paper remains blank, or there are smears, streaks, blotches, lines, etc, then those are different issues.
If the Mac does not report any printing errors when you try to print, and the printer just runs a sheet of paper through, then as far as your Mac is concerned, the printing is complete, and good.
Blank for you simply means that ink is not feeding to the cartridge. Poor printing quality with third-party ink, or third-party cartridges can simply mean that your printer is not liking the cheap stuff. :D

I think you have tried most everything that you can.
If the printer won't even print a test page properly, and you have done everything else - well, it's an old printer (first sold new more than 10 years ago.)
There are no longer software drivers compatible with new OS X versions for your printer.

Time to retire your old printer. It has served you well up to this point.

To answer your question more directly - I think the Mac is OK, but Canon has stopped supporting the printer with software updates for any OS X version past OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion)
Thanks so much for your reply. Sadly, I think your right.

Those cartridges have a chip in it. When the ink runs out, the chip dies. Trying to refill them with third party ink sometimes tricks those chips, sometimes not. Some printers do work with third party cartridges - some just sit there like an anchor. I have found that some printers refuse to work unless they ‘see’ the original brand cartridge. Can’t find the original brand cartridge? You are forced to use third party or buy a new printer because of ‘no longer supported’. :confused:

Those cartridges have a chip in it. When the ink runs out, the chip dies. Trying to refill them with third party ink sometimes tricks those chips, sometimes not. Some printers do work with third party cartridges - some just sit there like an anchor. I have found that some printers refuse to work unless they ‘see’ the original brand cartridge. Can’t find the original brand cartridge? You are forced to use third party or buy a new printer because of ‘no longer supported’. :confused:
Thanks for your reply. Yeah, it doesn't seem as tho' the printer isn't recognizing the ink. In fact I had two carts switched and it DID recognize that. It all goes about it business as tho' "job completed". The printer is fairly old but certainly not overused. A case for built in obsoleteness I guess.

Back