Can't access share on Microsoft Server

quest4speed

Registered
Have been pulling my hair out for 2 days on this.
Any help would be appreciated.
I support a medium sized network here. About 60 stations. All XP or Win 7 machines in the office.

Our new design guy has a Mac book pro running 10.8.1. Brand new out of box.
I am trying to access a share on our server. The server I am trying to access the share on is running Microsoft Server 2000.
I have never had an issue mapping this share as a drive on a windows machine.

The Mac does see the server in its directory, but I can not access it.

I have tried

smb://servername/sharename and
smb://IP of server/sharename

Both of these methods give me a screen to enter credentials but then it shakes them off.

If I try to enter the share via the directory I get a message saying the connection failed.

Any ideas?

Giaguara

Chmod 760
Staff member
Mod
And if you don't have success with either of those, get the exact error messages, plus what gets generated in Console (/Applications/Utilities) while you try to connect.

One more thing - are you connecting via Finder or Terminal? If only via Finder, try using Terminal - sometimes Finder still sucks when Terminal works...

rjmusto

Registered
Sorry if I am jumping in here - but I have a similar problem:

I have just installed a Qnap NAS drive on our home network. I've set it up with the workgroup name and users to match the home network and assigned permissions to the various share folders - all familiar stuff to Samba users.

A Windows XP machine connects to the shares ok. However, my Mac's won't. The folders show up in Finder, but trying to connect throws up the 'can't be found' window. I have also tried in Terminal and it reports:

mount_smbfs: server rejected the connection: Authentication error

So for some reason the permissions are not working. I can connect to the NAS via a Windows share or via AFP; both behave the same.
The only way I can gain access from the Macs is to set Guest access to full. Then all is fine - but I don't want to leave it like that.

Any ideas? (maybe I should start a new thread on this?)

Thanks.

Satcomer

In Geostationary Orbit
Sorry if I am jumping in here - but I have a similar problem:

I have just installed a Qnap NAS drive on our home network. I've set it up with the workgroup name and users to match the home network and assigned permissions to the various share folders - all familiar stuff to Samba users.

A Windows XP machine connects to the shares ok. However, my Mac's won't. The folders show up in Finder, but trying to connect throws up the 'can't be found' window. I have also tried in Terminal and it reports:

mount_smbfs: server rejected the connection: Authentication error

So for some reason the permissions are not working. I can connect to the NAS via a Windows share or via AFP; both behave the same.
The only way I can gain access from the Macs is to set Guest access to full. Then all is fine - but I don't want to leave it like that.

Any ideas? (maybe I should start a new thread on this?)

Thanks.
What string are you suing to mount the share? What aren't you using OS X's 'Connect to Server'?

Plus I found the blog post How to Mount a Windows 7 & Windows 8 Shared Folder in Mac OS X.

emma24xia

Registered
Has this problem been solved yet? I have encountered the similar situation on my Mac as well. I cannot access the server which I built coupld of years recently, pretty annoying.

Satcomer

In Geostationary Orbit
Has this problem been solved yet? I have encountered the similar situation on my Mac as well. I cannot access the server which I built coupld of years recently, pretty annoying.
Depends? What verson of OS X are you using? If you are using OS X 9.0 onward then when using a string use the CIFS string instead of smb!

If it's an older verson of OS X then use the IP number of the server instead of the name share