Can't Boot: DEFAULT CATCH!, Code=1800

Patrick Houston

Registered
iMac G5, struck by lightning about 2 months ago.

Started having boot problems after that. It would take about 5-7 tries before it would finally boot. Intermittent crashes, freezes and lockups since then.

I've suspected a corrupted disk (still gives the Happy Mac chime during power on) and have been pulling all my important files off of it (onto my new intel iMac) over the past few weeks.

This morning, it won't boot for anything and gives me a constant, scrolling message:

DEFAULT CATCH!, Code=1800 at %SRR0 00000000 ff845b6c %SSR1: 100000000.0200b030

The fan comes on and it just scrolls that message over and over.

I tried to use my 10.5.2 disk to boot from and now it won't let me have my disk back.

Any help on how I can:

A: eject my OSX 10.5.2 disk?
B: get this to boot so I can reformat the drive.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

patrick

El Diablo,

Neither of those options worked.

Anyone else got a suggestion?

Am I going to have to crack open the case to get to the little manual eject hole?

Hi,

Found this previous post
http://macosx.com/forums/mac-os-x-s...033-can-t-boot-default-catch-code-1800-a.html
This subject
This error message

I also can't boot BUT have a slightly different error message on a "white screen of death"
External Interrupt at %SRR0: 00000000 ff845b6c %SSR1: 10000000.0200b030

Tried several of the suggestions in previous post but none worked - including ejecting from the cd/dvd drive. Seems like it never gets to the OS. The last part of the initial error message (including "Welcome to Open Firmware" etc) before the endless scrolling of the error message, reads
Reducing System Power...

Any ideas?

TIA

I have the same issue (with the same message) on a core duo iMac and have not found an answer yet. If you've had any luck please let me know!

Hi,

Found this previous post
http://macosx.com/forums/mac-os-x-s...033-can-t-boot-default-catch-code-1800-a.html
This subject
This error message

I also can't boot BUT have a slightly different error message on a "white screen of death"
External Interrupt at %SRR0: 00000000 ff845b6c %SSR1: 10000000.0200b030

Tried several of the suggestions in previous post but none worked - including ejecting from the cd/dvd drive. Seems like it never gets to the OS. The last part of the initial error message (including "Welcome to Open Firmware" etc) before the endless scrolling of the error message, reads
Reducing System Power...

Any ideas?

TIA

I have the same problem. Anyone have any sugggestions? The keyboard is non responsive durring boot also...so any commands like "reset-nvram" are futile. I have a 1995 Imac G5 motorola model A1145. heres a pic.. any help would be much appreciated. is this hardware falure? can I crack the case myself? I dont have the bread to take it in to be repaired. got to do it all myself if possible.

thanks,

Eric

macbooterror.jpg

I was so relieved to find that the motherboard was dead. Problem solved! Of course, YMMV but we got a new mac mini so I can do my work instead of working at trying to find what's not working.

I like it when things are broke/dead rather than just limping along and intermittently driving me nuts.

Good luck, though. Maybe you'll find a fix.

inquiring_mind

iMac G5, struck by lightning about 2 months ago.

Started having boot problems after that. It would take about 5-7 tries before it would finally boot. Intermittent crashes, freezes and lockups since then.

I've suspected a corrupted disk (still gives the Happy Mac chime during power on) and have been pulling all my important files off of it (onto my new intel iMac) over the past few weeks.

This morning, it won't boot for anything and gives me a constant, scrolling message:

The fan comes on and it just scrolls that message over and over.

I tried to use my 10.5.2 disk to boot from and now it won't let me have my disk back.

Any help on how I can:

A: eject my OSX 10.5.2 disk?
B: get this to boot so I can reformat the drive.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

patrick
How did you fix this problem?
My G4 just did the exact same thing..
A scrolling

with the fan over exerting itself.

Hi
Did any of you ever solve the problem of the default catch code=1800 message? I have an iMac G5, isight, and have the exact same symptoms described above. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Glen

Hello everyone, I find out a way that will probably help some people.

It is the second time to have the default catch error message on a beige G3 machine. The
first time dessisted and changed machine but when it happened the second time I discovered
a "resuscitation" technique and happily and quickly went and fixed other the abbandoned g3.

The real fix on both events was having all the IDE disks disconnected and started up using
a SCSI disk containing a system with tools. Incredibly it worked! After that I reconnected
all disks but continued starting up using thhe SCSI disk containing a system. Then I could
see all the partitions mounted but one, the one that I was using when the computer crashed
and the fatal "default catch" error appeared.

It looks that the partition got corrupted and couldn't be mounted. After fixing it everything
went normal. I don't understand why this all happened. In other ocations when a corrupted
partition wouldn't mount always had the other ones mounting OK.. I read somewhere that it could
happen when having slaves ATA disks connected. As this recipe really works I decided to post it.

Checking disk ÒSaturnoÓ.
Checking "Mac OS Standard" volume structures.
Checking wrapper System file.
Checking "Mac OS Extended" volume structures.
Checking for locked volume name.
Checking extent BTree.
Problem: Invalid BTree Header, 0, 0
Checking extent file.
Checking catalog BTree.
Checking catalog file.
Problem: MountCheck found serious errors.
Checking catalog hierarchy.
Checking volume bit map.
Checking volume info.
Repairing the disk.
The volume ÒSaturnoÓ was repaired successfully.

The above list was the second try at fixing the partition that failed after recovering
from the "default catch" event.
On the first try it couldnt be fixed entirely and Disk First Aidit alerted to fix it again..
So this was the second fixing (successful) report made by Disk First Aid.

Back