can't caps lock in startup username and password.

simplyseven

Registered
hi guys ...
could one of you please tell me how to solve my problem?
when i power my macbook on, in login window,there'are empty Username and Password which is i have to fill. when i type my username and password , i can't access small letter which i used exactly when i set U n Password the first time i used my mac (eg.. username-dearmac, pw - loveyou).
my mac show only Cap Letter (DEARMAC...)... is it normal?
isn't supposed to be able to acces Small Letter as well. if so ... how can access that?
i turned off Caps Lock already. playing Caps Lock doesn't make any changes. it's always come out with Cap Letter....

Plz????
someone help me?

thx in advance!
simplyseven

The login window will warn you if you have the caps lock on. Try pressing caps lock, and you will see the little icon for that. Make sure it's off. I'd recommend never trying to use Caps Lock on a password entry window.

The user name (your account name) is not case sensitive, and could show up in caps or not, shouldn't make a difference
The password is case sensitive, so that has to be as you have entered it.
So, I suspect that the password itself is probably the issue. If your OS X system will not accept that password, then you may (still) be typing it incorrectly. You can reset that password to something else (or the password as you think it should be) by booting to your MacBook restore DVD, then open the Reset (or change) Password utility, which you will find in the Utilities menu.

hi deltamac ....
thx a lot man even though it didn't solve out totally. :)
my real problem is : i still can't access small letter for Password on Startup Window (like u said it's case sensitive) since i typed my password in small letter.
it shows Caps only no matter i turn Caps on or off. it trouble me a lot ... :(

today ... i did some experiment and it worked a bit (not totally though :) ... what i did was as soon as the startup tone came out , i pressed down Caps and for some reasons i accessed my mac without typing Password. :)

then i tried to change password from Preference. it asked me to type old Password with a small pop up coming up ,,, when i typed my old password ... here i got the old same problem ... the font is still in Caps ( i can't disable Caps .. i tried). when i restart ... the old same Startup Username n Password still blocking me from accessing my Mac. .....
Any More Advice?

Thanks Again Man ....
oh i forget one ... i tried to reinstall with Install Macbook DVD. I follow instructions like to press C when Gray Apple appeared. but since my keyboard work only Caps ... i can't access small 'c' (instead it's Cap C which should be small 'c' to reinstall) .... :(

Help guys!

Have you tried an external keyboard? Any USB keyboard should work.

You can also check for stuck keys on your internal keyboard.
Open your System Preferences, then International (or Language & Text if you have a 10.6 system).
Click the Input tab, then Check the box next to Keyboard Viewer (or Keyboard & Character viewer if you have 10.6). You should see a flag icon (or an input menu icon) in your menubar. Click on _that_ menu and choose the Keyboard Viewer. You'll see an on-screen keyboard. You can press each key, and the on-screen keyboard will highlight each key that you press. You can lock or unlock caps, and watch the change on the keyboard. You can press each modifier key (option, command, shift, etc) and watch the on-screen keyboard reflect those modifications. You may see that the problem is one key that is incorrectly stuck - or you may see that more than one key is responding, when only one button is pressed.
Any results from that?

i haven't tried extra KB yet. i'll do that.
but i did checking with Keyboard Viewer following and appearing exactly as what i type like you said. it works fine.

i even disabled (No Action) from Keyboard Preference ... it still types in Caps.

but one out of 50 (may be) it will type in small letter .. but it's just a font or two. then back to Caps ... man!!! i dun know ...

More Advice!

Sounds like a corrupted font, or
You have attempted to change one of the system fonts, or
you have installed something that affects the login window.

BTW - how can you tell that your password is in CAPS? You would never see your password as you type it in, except for either ****, or •••••

yeah .. i dun know man .

How do i know my password is in small letter? i know i sounded funny :)
i assumed it's in small coz when i typed my Username (on startup window), it's always in Caps ... plus i am so sure about my Password ... if it's not in Caps ... it should work for sure ... that's how i assume :)

yeah ... may be sth is stuck inside :)

thanks anyway man .. i appreciate for sharing yr advice!

Sounds to me like your shift key is stuck. That would create the symptoms you are showing. Try gently popping the shift key up and seeing if there is any debris under the key.

Back