Can't change file names

dfoto

Registered
Something has happened to my G4 running 10.4.7.
I'm not able to change names on existing files. When I click on a file it just highlights with a yellow oblong on the text instead of the rectangle yellow that allows changing.
What's up with that?

'What's up with that?' - the file(s) is / are locked, and / or is the volume / folder they reside in.

...or you don't have permission to change those filenames. Can you tell us exactly where the file is located (on your internal hard drive, on an external hard drive, on a network server, in someone else's home folder, etc.)?

All files are internal. Something else weird happened about the same time, auto fill has quit working. Dialog box says not getting info from address book, but all is in order there. Apple help didn't have a clue on that one, now my extended warranty has expired.
Went into a couple of documents saved to see if they were locked, and they were not. Changed the permissions on them, still no luck.

seems like it happened just recently. noticed it this morning. all current files cannot be renamed. running G5 with 10.4.7. I can still save and save as and it will create new files, but i cannot just click and alter the names of the files -- even in Get Info. I am logged in as the primary admin.

Created a new user. Worked as it should.
Rebooted, then loged on as usual, was able to change names, but only after clicking a second time and waiting for about 10 seconds.
Hope this helps.

Back