can't connect to internet with new DSL line (10.3.9)

joaniemac

Registered
Hi, I have an iMac G3, 600Ghz, 512MB of Ram, running OSX 10.3.9. Recently went to AT&T for fast access DSL which said it should run on 10.3.9. I have spent hours on the phone with Bellsouth (AT&T) who can find nothing wrong from their end and say my preferences, etc are all in order, but when I open any browser I get the message that the computer can't connect to the server. What do I do next?
I have been told to try updating to 10.4, but don't have the CDs
Am doing this for my son & family who can't afford to buy them right now.

Can't connect to which server?

BTW, the Internet is largely OS agnostic. The fact that you are running MacOS X 10.3.9 should have no bearing on whether or not you are able to get on. My guess is that you are simply not using the correct protocol.

What does your network setup look like?

Are you connecting the DSL modem directly to the computer? If so, have you properly configured the "Network" pane of the system preferences to use the PPPoE protocol, and correctly entered your AT&T DSL username and password? Under OS X 10.3.9, you may still have to use the "Internet Connect" application to configure a PPPoE connection.

Are you connecting the DSL modem to a router, and in turn, connecting the router to the computer? If so, have you properly configured the router for PPPoE with the correct AT&T DSL username and password?

Thank you for responding. I am connecting directly to the modem provided by the server which is AT&T (Bellsouth). I went over all the set-up protocols numerous times with the bellsouth help agent over the phone and still could not get online. The network pane is correctly configured according to the directions on the apple site and the bellsouth help agent. The user name and password have been set and reset with bellsouth several times on the mail and the network preferences and are correct because we started fresh the last time around (new username and password). Is there anything else I should try?? I can set up the protocol in my sleep now!!!

Do you have the ability to "screen capture" what you have on your Set Up? I understand it is a pain because you have to capture . . . then transfer the jpgs to the computer you are using . . . but it might help the Gurus figure out what is going on.

--J.D.

I think I can probably do that, but I am not on that computer right now. Will have to reply with the pics at a later date.
Can you tell me which screens you wish to view?? The preferences in Safari or the network setup?? Do you need to see the message I get when it informs me it can't find the server?

The more information, the better: give both. Also, have you tried other browsers like Firefox--to see if this is a Safari only problem?

--J.D.

Back