Can't connect to OS X from XP - any ideas why?

peterv6

Registered
I'm running OS X 10.6.7 on a 17" MacBook Pro, on a home network. I have 3 Windows XP Pro SP3 PC's on the network. I can connect from the Mac to any of the PC's, but I can not connect to the MacBook Pro from any of the PC's. I can ping the IP address of the MacBook Pro and get replies from the XP machines, but when I try to connect (using SMB), I get the following errors in XP: "\\MPB17 is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. The network path was not found." Can anyone help me out with this? I want to be able to copy files from the XP machines to the OS X machine from the XP machines. I know I can copy the XP files to the Mac from the Mac, but that's not what I need. I'd appreciate any help.
Peter V.

Make sure you go to System Preferences->Sharing and setup your drive for file sharing (with a username/password). Then connect to the Mac by it's IP address.

Satcomer, thanks for the reply. I tried your suggestion, but when I attempt to connect via the IP, I get this message: "The network path smb://192.168.1.3 could not be found".

Satcomer, thanks for the reply, but I found the problem. Seems when I did a software upgrade a while back, the firewall setting for NMBD was changed during the upgrade (not something I wanted, or expected), thus I wasn't allowed to connect to the MacBook Pro. I reset the firewall, and all's now fine.

Back