cant copy files

a_liping_dante

Registered
i have just an HDD upgrade on my iBook and partitioned as follows:
100 MB - bootstrap partition ( for linux)
1 GB - swap (for linux)
10 GB - Mac OS X partition (HFS+)
5 GB - Mac OS 9 partition (HFS)
10 GB - separate partition [i named it DATA] for files (HFS)
7+ GB - linux partition (ext3)

my problem is when i log on MacOSX (10.2.5) and copy files from network/local HD to my DATA partition i encounter error message and file copy process cannot be done,... when i log on MacOS9 (chinesse version --do you have any idea how can i make it on english?) file copy is ok, log on my linux (Debian GNU/Linux), file copy is OK.

:eek: 1 gigabyte swap!

Ok, that aside, you should be able to write to HFS file systems with OS X. I presume you are using the Finder to copy files?

In OS X, what is the exact error message you are receiving? Does it say you do not have permission to write, or does it say something else?

If it is a permission problem, you can select the partition on your desktop and type COMMAND-I, and then check Ignore Permissions on this Volume, or just give yourself rwx on the volume.

...i already have read/write permission but i keep on having this error message

Attachments

• picture 2.pdf
    17.3 KB · Views: 9
Oh I love that problem! It's so descriptive, isn't it? Even Apple doesn't have a good explanation for it, although they do suggest a workaround.

It's always a good idea in OS X to switch to the command line to manipulate files when the Finder starts getting whiny.

...thanks man, working on command-line is no problem with me for i am a linux user, i just wonder maybe thers is something wrong with my MacOSX system
...more to say my gf hates when she use my notebook and has this pop-up:mad:

Originally posted by billbaloney
Oh I love that problem! It's so descriptive, isn't it? Even Apple doesn't have a good explanation for it, although they do suggest a workaround.

...that workaround pertains on remote copy, sorry if the image i attached is the error i encounter when i try to copy on network share, i thought error message is the same... this error message i was talking is also encountered even i copy file from my desktop to my "Data partition".. i will attach another snapshot to make it clear.
...sorry for making confusion.

In my experience, error -50 is the generic, monolithic permissions error. I interpret error -50 this way: "There may be something wrong with your permissions, or you may have simply run into one of those situations where the Mac interface has conflicted with the BSD underpinnings. Please switch to the command line."

Now, there might be a larger problem you need to address -- that's entirely possible. But error -50 to me means that I have to bypass the Finder for this particular task.

It's like when you try to empty the trash and you get obscure locked-file or file-in-use-by-an-app-that's-clearly-not-running errors. So you have a file that says something like

#!/bin/sh
sudo chflags -R nouchg ~/.Trash/*
sudo rm -R ~/.Trash

and go on with your life.

Originally posted by michaelsanford
:eek: 1 gigabyte swap!

Just out of curiosity what's so out of the norm about this? In most Linux installations you'll want twice as much swap as you have physical RAM. I currently have a 2Gb drive doing my swap.

Wow -- actually, now that I look at top on this laptop for the first time, I see that it's allotted an outrageous amount of swap:

PhysMem: 58.7M wired, 278M active, 159M inactive, 495M used, 16.8M free
VM: 3.16G + 69.1M 59042(59042) pageins, 95274(95274) pageouts

Or am I misreading this here?

I always use the RAM x 2 approximation when setting up any *nix-like machine, and it's always been ample.

Even my XServe is at about the RAM x 2 allottment:

PhysMem: 140M wired, 166M active, 1.68G inactive, 1.98G used, 23.9M free
VM: 2.87G + 63.0M 522164(0) pageins, 149144(0) pageouts

Yeah I suppose you're right about the swap size, I'm just paranoid about swapping at all. :rolleyes:

As for that error message, I have received it a few times trying to copy to an MS-DOS-formatted (formatted on my Mac I might add) usb drive, but the command line works. billbaloney's explanation is excellent.

Every *nix system has swap. (Anyone have a counter-example?) The idea is not to have to use it, or to minimize its use.

OS X install makes a swap file by default -- I seriously doubt you can defeat that. (Again, counter-examples?)

Oh yeah of course every system has swap, I just want to minimize the use as well. I jumped the gun saying a 1GB swap partition was a big deal; the real big deal is consistnely using 1GB of sawp under normal operation...pardon my jumpiess :p

Yeah, if you actually took advantage of anywhere near 1 GB virtual memory your machine would pretty much grind to a standstill. That would not be optimal.

...guys thanks for all your comments, i learn a lot, ...as of swap file, i just follow the standard convention swap file setting as most LINUXers do, 1 GB swap dont hurt my HDD so i guess its ok.
..i appreciate all your views.
THANKS TO ALL

...if you still have idea please do post;)

Hey...apparently I have a 3.1 GB swap, and it's not hurting me none. I think these systems are more liberal with the partitioning schemes in general now that RAM is cheaper (so there's a little less disk access) and drives are (much much much) faster. Where a partition is on the disk is less of an issue, and how far the reader has to go to get to the next partition is less important as well. I'm not going to worry about the monstrous swap size, even though it's literally the biggest swap I've ever seen.

Back