Can't delete this file .DS_store Help!!

jhy720

Registered
No idea how .DS_store got on my desktop (maybe from downloads?), it's now in every application I have. Tried everything.. used Maintain to force delete but it comes right back. Help!!!

Joe

that's because it's part of your desktop files. you can't get rid of it. however it should be invisible so that's it not bothering you.

and yea, it's everywhere!! :D

how do you see it, do you mean it's an icon on your desktop, or visible in the terminal in ~/Desktop/.DS_Store (the second, like Ed said, is normal, it's in every single folder on your disk too).

It just shows up as a doc. No idea why it appeared but it shows up everywhere now. How do I make it invisible or hide it?

That's pretty special, it's supposed to be hidden.

You'll have to make sure Show Hidden Files isn't enabled, but in Jag I'm not sure where that is (someone else with Jag can hopefully answer this).

Install Tinkertool, and set it to hide system & hidden files. Also, if you boot into 9, you will see files normally hidden in X. Forget deleting it, it's part of your system.

Mine sometimes get uploaded when i upload a folder to a server. Then they show up and sometimes won't let me delete them. Damn Things

Originally posted by twister
Mine sometimes get uploaded when i upload a folder to a server. Then they show up and sometimes won't let me delete them. Damn Things
Be sure to set your correct permissions so you can delete them.

Back