Can't drag or drop my folders or files on Mac.

I have the same issue: I can create and delete folders and I can copy files and folders, but I cannot move them. Tried drag and drop but won't budge, like OP. Very annoying.

Don't feel like reinstalling to see if that would solve the problem.
I come from Linux, so comfortable with the command line and just using the `mv` command.

On MacBookPro14,1with macOS Mojave Version 10.14.6

Last edited:
I have the same issue: I can create and delete folders and I can copy files and folders, but I cannot move them. Tried drag and drop but won't budge, like OP. Very annoying.

Don't feel like reinstalling to see if that would solve the problem.
I come from Linux, so comfortable with the command line and just using the `mv` command.

On MacBookPro14,1with macOS Mojave Version 10.14.6
Does it make any difference after you restart your Mac?

I suspect you will want to reinstall your macOS system, which should help.

You shouldn't have to go to the terminal every time you need to move a folder or two.
Does drag and drop work in another user account? If you don't have another user account, this might be a good opportunity to add a user (System Preferences/Users & Groups pane) just for a quick test.

Another possibility - if you have file sharing enabled (in System Preferences/Sharing pane), try turning file sharing off, then try to drag and drop.

I should also point out that when I say "reinstall", that would not normally mean anything more than a system reinstall, and NOT an erase and reload everything. Everything - all your files and apps - remain in place, but the system itself is reloaded, and your issues with the finder would likely be working again, less than 45 minutes, depending on the speed of your internet. And, if you have a bootable macOS installer already, that time would be even less.

You shouldn't have to go to the terminal every time you need to move a folder or two.
Does drag and drop work in another user account? If you don't have another user account, this might be a good opportunity to add a user (System Preferences/Users & Groups pane) just for a quick test.

Another possibility - if you have file sharing enabled (in System Preferences/Sharing pane), try turning file sharing off, then try to drag and drop.

I should also point out that when I say "reinstall", that would not normally mean anything more than a system reinstall, and NOT an erase and reload everything. Everything - all your files and apps - remain in place, but the system itself is reloaded, and your issues with the finder would likely be working again, less than 45 minutes, depending on the speed of your internet. And, if you have a bootable macOS installer already, that time would be even less.
OK, I'm new to Mac/OSX so to me a reinstall sounds pretty drastic. Will read up about it.

Haven't tried on a different user account yet. And not sure if file sharing is on or off. Will also look into that.

Thanks for the help!

Back