can't empty trash

Propeller

Registered
Hello,

i'm using OS X 10.4.3 and am logged in under my own username. For some reason every time i try to empty my trash the action locks up and i have to reboot my system.

Is there anyway i can force my trash to trash the items? I've tried holding down option while doing so but it still doesn't work.

Thanks,
Rob

Hi Rob,
search the forum for the following words: "empty trash".
You can empty the trash in the terminal. For more detailed instructions check out those threads.
I think this subject caused most of the new threads in this forum. ;)
Good luck!

Thanks for the info. I tried doing a search on empting the trash and have also tried the Terminal. No matter what i try with the Terminal, i keep getting errors such as:

too many arguments
no such file or directory found
command not found

Any idea what i am doing wrong? I'm assuming the user name is the name of my own folder under Users/
Thanks for any advice,
Rob

I have tried all the suggestions on the site you have listed and nothing seems to work still...When i type cd~/.Trash....sudo rm -rf this message comes up:

"We trust you have received the usual lecture from the local System Administrator. It usually boils down to these three things:"

Then it lists 3 points, anyone have any suggestions?

That's a default message that appears when you try and become the super-user (or root) for the first time. It's just a warning and does not indicate any kind of error.

When you type the commands:
Code:
cd ~/.Trash
sudo rm -rf
You will be prompted for your admin password. Enter it and everything should work out fine.

When i type cd ~/.Trash then sudo rm -rf i get this error now...

"my name" is not in the sudoers file. This incident will be reported.

Back